Arena Guide by Informed_User
The arena opens at Boomtown after the battle where:
SPOILER! Highlight to View
Alfonse defeats Muntzer.
The arena is past the gates on the east side of Boomtown. The arena has two entrances, enter the far right entrance to register for battles.
"MC" stands for the Main Character/Crevanille.
The events at the arena are:
- Physical Damage
- Spell Damage
- Bronze Class
- Silver Class, beat Bronze to enter.
- Gold Class, beat Silver to enter.
- Platinum Class, beat Gold to enter.
- Bonus Battle: Gold Gel, defeat a Gold Gel in the Well Lady dungeon to enter.
- Bonus Battle: Soul, defeat a Soul in the Well Lady dungeon to enter.
- Free Battle 1v1
- Free Battle 2v2, beat the first half of the 1v1 battles to enter.
- Free Battle 4v4, beat the first half of the 1v1 battles to enter.
- Creature Conquest
- Exhibition Match 1, beat all of the 4v4 battles to enter.
- Exhibition Match 2, have Maggie build a homunculus machine and use it.
- Exhibition Match 3, have Maggie build a homunculus machine and use it.
Master all events to get the 3 Ultimate Spellstones. Each stone teaches all the spells and abilities per category that a character can learn without scrolls. You can't learn Blast or Synchronize unless you have Materia Master and Proof of Friendship.
See sidequests page for Well Lady dungeon info.
See character quests page, Regina, for homunculus machine info.
Having maxed STR, 999, makes mastering many events much easier. Keep fighting in the 2v2 battles and getting the Blessing Bells to max out your stats. Casting Invisible stops most enemies from being able to attack you.
To master all arena events you need a lot of money. To get that money:
- get the Duplicate Ring spellstone and use it to make copies of your most valuable ring.
- get thievery scrolls from the arena and use them on all your party members so they can have thievery at level 1. Use certain spellstones to level thievery higher and start stealing from the highest level enemies you can find. The game automatically sells items you already have 9 of, which spares you from needing to go to shops to sell.
- the fastest method to get lots of money, late-game, is to enter the Gold Gel battle. Equip the MC with 3 of the level 9 spellstone, Item Drop Up. During the battle use star shards on the MC so he can kill all the gels with his sword dance limit. You will get many valuable rings you can sell for 100,000+ gold per battle.
Physical Damage, the more STR the MC has the more damage he can do. Use Attack Up before the battle starts, equip 2 or 3 Thorned powers, use Fierce Strike on the Golem. You will get the MC's sword dance limit or his best armor for getting first place in this event.
Spell Damage, the more INT the MC has the more damage his spells do. The best spell to use on the golem is Blast, which you get from getting all the spell items for Kate. Equip the MC with two Intelligence Up stones and one Spell doubling, +3 if you have them. Use the Magic Up knack during the battle. You will get the MC's sword dance limit or his best armor for getting first place in this event.
Monster Class battles, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, if your MC is strong these events should be quite easy. The only danger for a strong MC comes from some monsters being able to instantly kill the MC via status aliments. Master the Null Aliment passive or cast Invisible to protect against status aliments. You get 2 random spellstones for beating these events. Exhibition Match 3 is probably more useful for farming LV 9 spellstones then Platinum Class.
Gold Gel battle: win one of the damage battles to get the MC's third limit, sword dance, MC must have his second limit to get his third. Use star shards, purchasable from Trockmere, on the MC during the battle to activate sword dance. More STR and being equipped with attack boosting stones, like Thorned Power, makes sword dance do more damage. You must kill all gels to master this event. Your reward is the items dropped by the gels.
Soul Battle: use ice spells to kill the souls. Ice Barrage + Wind Edge makes the group-hitting Blizzard joint spell. Watch the souls, some will start charging up, to escape, faster then others, try to kill the charging souls fast. The knacks Spell Lv Up and Magic Up, help during this battle. You must kill all souls to master this event. Your reward is the experience gained from the souls.
1v1, cast Invisible to make this event easy. Your reward is rings, you can get the game's best ring, Xozar Dragon, from the S rank.
2v2, cast Invisible on one or both characters to make this event easy. Your reward is various consumable items, Blessing Bells being the best.
4v4, having ranged attackers, Remus, Vallery, Regina, Meline, helps. Casting Invisible also helps. Your rewards are various special items and bonuses, ancient book, all cursors, sound test, Familiar Costume G, M2 stones.
Creature Conquest, win one of the damage battles to get the MC's third limit, sword dance, MC must have his second limit to get his third. Use star shards, purchasable from Trockmere, on the MC during the battle to activate sword dance. More STR and being equipped with attack boosting stones, like Thorned Power, makes sword dance do more damage. Your team must kill all monsters to master this event. Your reward is stones that boost your familar's stats and energy, use them at the Doll House.
Exhibition Match 1, having ranged attackers, Remus, Vallery, Regina, Meline, helps. The Dulkheim team, bottom left, has most of the weakest people. The Simmons and Norman clones, Valkian Team, are also prone to dying quick. You may want to position the MC in front of the Marqulia team and just have him defend until your other characters have gotten rid of the weaker teams. Your team members must land the finishing blow on all other opponents to master this event. Your reward is scrolls based on the number of opponents your team defeated. (Credit to board user truesper2 for scroll info)
- Earth Scroll - Sand Shot
- Fire Scroll - Fire Arrow
- Wind Scroll - Wind Edge
- Holy Scroll - Holy
- Death Scroll - Death
- Sould Scroll - Magic Vortex
- Neural Scroll - Cycle Up
- Miracle Scroll - Healing
- Counter Scroll - Counter
- Sword Scroll - Circle Strike
- Thievery Scroll - Thievery
- Mage's Scroll - Magic Up
- Berzerker Scroll - Berzerk
- Keen Scroll - Keen Eye
- Vigor Scroll - HP Up
- Mental Scroll - MP Up
- Mobility Scroll - MOV up
- Vision Scroll - Aim Up
- Reflex Scroll - Quick Attack
- Invoke Scroll - Quick Cast
- Magic Scroll - MP Cost Down
- Petrify Scroll - Petrify Attack
- Body tune Scroll - HP Drain
- Mind tune Scroll - MP Drain
- Life Scroll - Ailment Guard
- Shadow Scroll - Shadow Dodge
- Healing Scroll - HP Regen
- Calming Scroll - MP Regen
Exhibition Match 2, having ranged attackers, Remus, Vallery, Regina, Meline, helps. You fight clones of Growlanser 2 characters here. All other teams will only attack your team. Defeat all enemies within the time limit to master this event. Your reward is learning the Concentration skill at lv 1, per enemy defeated. You get nothing if all your party members know Concentration.
Exhibition Match 3, having ranged attackers, Remus, Vallery, Regina, Meline, helps. You fight clones of Growlanser 3 characters here. All other teams will only attack your team. Defeat all enemies within the time limit to master this event. Your reward is learning the Null Aliment skill at lv 1, per enemy defeated. You get random items and LV 9 spellstones if all your party members already know Null Aliment.