Review by imagine606

Reviewed: 08/28/18

Metroidvania Done More Than Right

I am a huge fan of Metroidvania games. Growing up, both Castlevania 2 and Metroid were among my favorite games. Both franchises evolved and turned into what we today call Metroidvania.

Today there are a lot of imitators and those who fail to create the same sort of games as the games who popularized the genre, but in the end, few really manage to match the combination of story, exploration, and gameplay that were found in games like Symphony of the Night or Metroid Fusion. Now, I'm not saying that even some of those were not worthy of playing, but they didn't match what was already out there by any means.

Chasm brings a lot of new to the genre. First of all, it brings the feel of Symphony of the Night, but without the same setting. The general idea of how the game progresses is almost perfectly in line with Symphony of the Night, but like I said, there is more to it than that. However, there are so many great things, such as the variety in settings in the game. There is a number of different places you visit throughout. Without spoiling things, you go through 6 (I feel like I'm missing one, but I'm pretty sure it's 6) different worlds, each very unique, and each with their own set of enemies, and of course, with each set of enemies you get a set of strategies.

Moving on, one of my favorite things about this game was that there was this challenge that I felt at times that hadn't been felt since the late 90's. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with combat, but instead has a lot to do with those moments when you have defeated all of the enemies (of course, when you leave the screen they come back), and all of that fun stuff, but need to know what to do to move on.

There were times during my first couple of playthroughs where I was legitimately wondering what to do next. However, once I reminded myself of what to do, my later playthroughs became easy. However, there were a few moments on my first time through where I did wind up being lucky on figuring out what to do. Of course I would have eventually found those things out, but the fact that it happened that way is a testament to how there are some witty moments throughout the game, and it's not just one or two times, it's something that happens several times per area.

Once again moving forward, one of the best features of the game is that you can play through it multiple times and not get the same experience. The developers were able to create it in a way where everything winds up in different places every time. There's not a whole lot to say about this, but it makes the game unique and adds a lot of replay value, especially since the game itself is so much fun to play.

The soundtrack to the game is very solid. There's nothing amazing to it, but it's done in a style that is very similar to what was done in the early 90's. There is a quick hook that is often repeated, but is not the entirety of the song. There are different styles for different areas.

While I'm a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, I haven't been blown away by a whole lot over the last decade or so. Sure, there have been games that have impressed me, but nothing that has really caused me to sit up and take notice. However, we have that here. Chasm is one of the best games I have played in the genre, and when I say that, I'm talking all of the genre. 80's, 90's, 00's, and 10's. It's just simply a great game and as fun to play as any game out there today. If you're a fan of the genre, you'll love it. If not, you'll probably still like it.

Product Release: Chasm (US, 07/31/18)