Where is the planetary map?

1. I'm going in circles trying to find my frontier of exploration. Where is the map of a planets surface?

Or an inertial locator?

Or even a compass?

User Info: teamnoir

teamnoir - 3 years ago

1. Yeah - no surface map, no compass. To navigate, I try to look at the other planets on my system map (center data screen in your ship's cockpit). I can judge cardinal directions, but only over about 1/4 of the planet's surface at a time. After that the relative positions of other planets have changed too much, and I have to bounce back to orbit an re-align.

User Info: geedie

geedie (Expert) - 3 years ago 3   0

Answers

1. In one word: NO, The only thing close is the galatic map which isn't actually a map, but they call it one. And it has nothing to do with any planet surface. Much like the term black hole was used rather than worm hole, the devs are not nor ever have been astronomers and use incorrect verbage.

User Info: BILLL

BILLL - 3 years ago 2   0
  2. Haha I wish. The top of your HUD functions almost like a compass. To mark a path I've been using the grenades from my multitool to blow craters in the landscape.

User Info: themedic11

themedic11 - 3 years ago 2   1
  3. Once you've obtained the necessary recipes, you can build a beacon that will always appear on your HUD, whether in ship or on foot. This is helpful, but it's not a panacea. Some basic orienteering skills are necessary. I tend to stick with the single point reference for the simple reason that you need only place one beacon and go.

While traveling, I orient by the beacon's location as if it is the north planetary pole. This works quite well for exploring the 'northern' hemisphere, and the method can be adapted for the 'southern' hemisphere, if you work spiraling southward. Alternatively, place a second beacon at the 'south' pole and complete the process.

User Info: geedie

geedie (Expert) - 3 years ago 2   1