Review by DarknessXSeeker

Reviewed: 06/22/15

A Small Taste

This is a spoiler free review

Note: The following is my opinion and should not be taken as fact

Well it was finally free on PSN, so I decided to try out Ground Zeroes to see what all the fuss was about. The only Metal Gear game I have ever played is Rising and having heard great things about the Metal Gear Solid series I saw now as the best opportunity to try it. This "game" if you can even call it that, is pathetically short, to the point where it is insulting. I would not pay $30 for this, I would not even pay $10 for this, but does that mean I didn't like it? Hell no!

Yeah I have no clue what is going on, so I had to do a quick wikipedia search of the plot to this series, to my surprise it was not as complicated as Kingdom Heart's story so I caught up pretty well if I do say so myself. Big Boss, codenamed Snake, has been tasked with infiltrating and retrieving two old friends of his, Chico and Paz, from the enemy base and.....that's pretty much it. The story really does nothing but set up the story for the Phantom Pain, yet the little time I spent with it I enjoyed what I saw. The voice acting is superb, every actor hits it right on the button, and each character is complex in their own way. Still, there is barely enough here to even classify this as a story and leans more towards a simple teaser then anything else.

I have to say, when I first started up the game I was taken by the realistic style almost immediately. The graphics are so crisp, so well done, to the point where it looks extremely close to reality but yet still looks like a game. Detail can be found in every corner of this map, from grass to enemy camps, to the soldiers themselves. Konami is finally on the next gen road in the graphical department and hopefully they will stay on it.

What can I say, I wasn't expecting much from Ground Zeroes and I really got what I was expecting. There is maybe two hours worth of gameplay to be found and even less if you simply rush through the game, it is insulting. But damn if what's here is not incredible!

Though Snake may be getting older, age does not slow him down, he is able to crouch, crawl, and dash his way through the enemy base. Whether you are like me and prefer to silently take down each soldier and strategically move their unconscious bodies to a different location, or just go in guns blazing, you can do it either way. The stealth is perhaps the most enjoyable stealth combat I have ever experienced in a video game, it is so satisfying to take out a searchlight soldier and then knock out his colleagues who were surrounding the area and then when all is done you are clear to move on to your objective. To my knowledge you only have four or five guns to use in Ground Zeroes. Your starting ones being: a tranquilizer gun, which I found nearly useless considering it takes four shot to knock someone out, and a machine gun for those times you get stuck in a fire fight and there is no other option.

Overall the gameplay is incredibly fun but there is just so little of it, I ended up craving more as soon as the end credits rolled but I knew there was nothing left to do. How this was even sold for $30 is beyond me, but considering I got it free I will not and have no right to complain to the extent that others did who payed full price.

Verdict: 5/10

Yes, I would love to give this a higher rating, but with the overall value being so low I simply can not. There is no value in all honesty, you get 1-2 hours of entertainment if you do not have a clue how to play a Metal Gear Solid game like I did, God knows how fast fans of the series beat it. What is in Ground Zeroes is good, even excellent, but not enough to warrant a purchase. One thing Ground Zeroes did accomplish is seal the deal for my purchase of the Phantom Pain and September can not get here sooner. If you are like me and want to play Ground Zeroes before you buy the Phantom Pain then I would highly recommend being careful. If it is only $5 then get it, if you have PS+ then try it out, if nothing else you can just watch a walkthrough on Youtube.

Product Release: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (US, 03/18/14)