Is witcher wild hunt class as high fanstasy ?

1. Is the witcher wild hunt class as high fanstasy ?

User Info: Andersonwolf93

Andersonwolf93 - 1 month ago

Answers

1. In my opinion, no. Neither the books nor the games fulfill what you'd expect of high fantasy.

The lore is deep enough, but not as deep as in, say, LotR. There is also a good portion of humor and satire, which high fantasy stories usually lack.

The witcher also lacks the classic "quest for a higher cause", like battling an ancient evil. Although in The Witcher 3 and in the novels Geralt is on a *personal* quest to find Ciri, he is not developing like a character in a high fantasy epos would (overcoming his weaknesses or becoming a better person). When he does good deeds, it's mostly to get on with his search. His aiding queen Meve in battle just to get past a bridge is a good example for this.

The books and games are also not built up as schematic as classic high fantasy stories. Two or three of the books consisted of short stories if I remember correctly. Although these followed a certain thread, especially the first and second, showing Geralt from first meeting Ciri's parents, meeting Ciri herself by chance (or fate) and lastly accepting her as his ward and later losing her again, many of these stories are just episodes of Geralt's life and time as a witcher. It's like a TV show where each episode tells a single story but there is a central theme throughout it, like the Mentalist hunting Red John.

The novels follow a central theme, changing focus from Geralt to Ciri and back, showing Geralt's search for Ciri and Ciri running from the wild hunt while growing up. Again, for the most part, neither of the characters are battling anevil being in the east or searching for something like the holy grail, but both are just trying to survive in a harsh world. Neither of them can be described as good-hearted heroes who would sacrifice themselves for the greater good. You could argue Ciri tries to halt Ithlinne's prophecy, but I'm not so sure if she does this because she hopes to save the world. To me, it seems like she just tries to save her loved ones. The witcher novels end somewhat tragic, while a high fantasy novel would have a happy end.

I could go on and on I guess...

User Info: LaMiaTristessa

LaMiaTristessa - 1 month ago 0   0