Historical Accuracy of RDR2?

1. I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming this but I dont think the terms "White trash" or "Hillbilly" were invented or at least popularized until the 1900s. I ask this because in a mission In Chapter 3 when busting moonshiners the deputy yells those words after the moonshiners and it made me curious as to the historical accuracy of the dialogue and phrases used by the cast.?

User Info: Winter1129

Winter1129 - 10 months ago

1. Both terms began shortly after the Civil War - in the regions the game is based upon. The 1900s is when those phrases, along with other derogatory slurs, became stereotypes. So yes, the game is using those terms historically accurate.

User Info: OlendraDivine

OlendraDivine (Expert) - 10 months ago 5   1

1. The first recorded use of "white trash" was in 1821. It was used by slaves to degrade white servants. "the slaves themselves entertain the highest contempt for white servants whom they designate as poor white trash" By 1850 it was a widespread derogatory racial slur.

"hillbilly" derived from hill-folk (isolated friend) in the 1700s. By the end of the Civil War, certain regions (where the game is based upon) were falling behind and becoming isolated. These folks were perceived as backwards, short-tempered, and inbred - thus "hillbilly" was adopted and began to spread. Thanks to people like Hatfields and McCoys... the term quickly became a derogatory racial slur.

The game does a decent job in some areas for historical accuracy.

User Info: OlendraDivine

OlendraDivine (Expert) - 10 months ago 5   0

1. No, the term white trash is a newer phrase they didn't use back then. That phrase only started around the middle 1900's. As for hillbilly that's probably an older term. This game isn't as historically accurate as some want to believe. There are also other inaccuracies in the game as well

User Info: neb519

neb519 - 10 months ago 1   10