Review by Busta_Dust

Reviewed: 08/10/16

Classic JRPG in 2016!

Introduction:
I am Setsuna is truly a classic take on old school RPGs in the 90s era (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4-6 to name a few). The game was made by a company called Tokyo RPG Factory and their goal was to make an old school RPG that would please the fans who love and miss the older JRPGs.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is your traditional turn-based RPG. The battle system is very similar to Chrono Trigger. Tokyo RPG Factory kept it basic but added a few twists. You can add special mods to your techs (basically spells) that allows you to customize your spell. There is many possibilities here and that allows for replayability in my opinion. The level system is also pretty basic. You get experience points for killing enemies and that eventually leads you to leveling up. Leveling up increases your HP and MP, but it does seem to have a little impact on your attack / magic power. I've noticed slight increases to enemy damage after leveling up.

This game allows you to grind but it is not required. I personally love grinding and this game was pleasant to grind in. There is extra strong enemies in certain areas that would normally wipe out your party, but if you grind you can overcome these enemies. This was very rewarding to defeat the strong monsters.

I give the gameplay a 4.5 out of 5.

Story:
The story is one of the most important aspects of a RPG. This story did its job but wasn't as deep as it could be. They left several plot holes unanswered and I felt some of the characters could have used more back story or side stories. Don't take this as me bashing the story. The story really made me intrigued with the characters. I just felt they didn't give the story enough attention to really shine. I was really starving for more story.

I give the story a 4.0 out of 5.

Graphics and Sound
The graphics were perfect for what Tokyo RPG was trying to accomplish. I loved the snow effects of the game. They did a fine job with the snow. The only problem was the whole world was covered with snow so there was very few variety.

The music was beautiful and matched the game perfectly. The piano instrumentals was some of the best I've heard in a RPG. Sometimes I would love just watching the snow fall and listening to the music. My only complaint with the music is similar to the graphics. Not enough variety.

I give graphics and sound a 4.5 out of 5.

Play Time and Replayability
Ultimately this was a short RPG. It is hard to track your exact playtime because they do not record your playtime. Many people state it is in the 20 hour range. This sounds about right. I felt I put in about 25 hours when I finally beat the game. Of course I wish this game was longer. I would have no problem playing this game for 40-60+ hours.

The Replayability has promise. There is several monsters you can defeat during the end game. The customization with the techs allow people to try different combos as well.

I give play time and replayability a 4 out of 5.

Final Words
This was one of the best RPGs I've played in the past two generations. I miss the old school JRPG genre. This game made me remember why I miss the old school JRPGs. If you enjoyed the RPGs in the 90s, I would recommend this game for sure. Even if you never played a RPG, I would recommend this game.

If this game came out during the SNES era with a bigger budget to allow longer story, people would be praising it today as one of the greats.

I give this game a 4.5 out of 5.

Product Release: I Am Setsuna (US, 07/19/16)