Did anyone else know you can have pets?

1. Ive only been playing a little while, but i noticed something cool and couldnt find anything about it on here....
    i was standing in armadillo and i whistled for my horse, whilst waiting a dog came over and sat next to me, i whistled again to see if it was a coincedence and the dog stood up, another whistle and it sat down again... i repeated this several times because it doesnt take much to entertain me... when id had my fun i got on my horse and rode away... only to notice a few munites later that the dog had followed me all the way to hanging rock!

so my questions are...

has anybody else noticed this?

if so how long will it follow me for?

and will it be scared by gunfire (like my sissy horse) or will it follow me into battle like the dogs on night patrol at macfarlanes ranch?

im about to take the dog on a bounty so i may answer some of my own questions.... i just thought it was cool and needed to tell the world... plus id really like to hear any other ideas for what to do with your pet dog....

any and all input welcome

User Info: Ozymandeus_ii

Ozymandeus_ii - 9 years ago
  2. Ok so the dogs a sissy.. as soon as they started shooting at me he ran away never to return..
    but its not a total bust... because before i got there i shot a crow from disance and the dog ran straight over to where it fell, he didnt point at it or anything but he was within 4 meters of the crows body which made it alot easier for me to find... so im gonna go to macfarlanes ranch and get one of the gaurd dogs for my next bounty... i dont think the results will be any different but its worth a try... also i want to see what happens when i put bait right next to the dog in an area known for cougars..hehe

User Info: Ozymandeus_ii

Ozymandeus_ii - 9 years ago
  3. Nevermind.. it seems the first time was a fluke or a glitch because now i cant get any of the other dogs to follow me for more than a couple of hundred meters... i guess i got all excited over nothing... ah well.

User Info: Ozymandeus_ii

Ozymandeus_ii - 9 years ago

1. I don't think it's a glitch at all. R* obviously intended for dogs to follow you when you whistle, and there's no way they did so without being aware of the possibility that they could keep following you outside of town.

I've done it a couple times and heard of others doing the same. Seems the dog just gets randomly distracted and stops following you. Sometimes it'll be in this distracted state before you even whistle for it, so it won't follow you at all. Only thing to do is head to another town and try again. Or maybe it'll respond to your whistle again after a time.

This little feature isn't well-known, so there's very little info on it.

User Info: InfernoSD

InfernoSD - 9 years ago 2   0

1. It was a glitch that the dog followed you that far but they do respond to whistling :)

User Info: Phazon2000

Phazon2000 - 9 years ago 0   0