Review by drbeat85

Reviewed: 02/11/11

Worth renting, and playing.

Dante's Inferno... Granted that is an incomplete thought, but so was the game. It's starts off like a modern and brutal twist on an already graphic classic, and ends up a rushed final product with little to carry it through the finish.

Anyone who has played God of War or Devil May Cry has played Dante's Inferno. However, the scythe was an interesting main weapon, and the option to choose Holy or Unholy was refreshing given the fact it's usually just one track. (Though, if you play on easy you don't have to choose, you gain enough Exp. to fill both meters.) It was frustrating, towards the end, finding that all the combos you have learned are useless past the standard 3-button combination of Square, Square, Triangle. Plume of Prometheus, anyone? It gets the 8/10 because, yes, they may have taken a lot of "influence" from other titles, but it was pretty well executed and exciting for long enough to mean something.

Considering the power of a PS3, and even the 360, the graphics are okay at best. Mediocre, and from the preview and how I excited I was about this game, I expected a lot more Visceral. Dead Space was awesome, and the graphics were light years past these. Really Visceral? ...Really?

The story closely resembles the poem at first, but is quick to take artistic liberties, especially with Dante himself. While I understand the necessity of an artist to make a project their own, I feel like they took too little from the poem itself and created something interesting at first, but that proved shallow in the end. Without giving too much away... it's lame. Moreover, the story offers nothing new to keep the player interested in completing the task at hand. Instead it relies on gameplay, because the graphics are surely not enough to carry it. I will say that the events early on did keep me entertained and intrigued enough to finish the game to see if I had a possible sequel on my hands. Considering that was the only possible explanation I had left for the lack of development in the plot.

Entertainment Factor 8/10

All of that being said, over the 9 days and 4 replays I owned this game before I sold it back to GameStop, I had fun. Despite its downfalls, it was entertaining and brutal. However repetitive it might be. The first 3 chapters and the City of Dis are by far the best parts of the game, and the most well executed to boot.

It's renter, though, pure and simple. There was no reason to play it 4 times, I'm just a nerd. 1 play-through is more than enough to enjoy all this game has to offer. Not to mention it'll only take you 6-8 hours anyway, so if you hate or love it, it's not a huge waste of time either way. Win/win.

Product Release: Dante's Inferno (Divine Edition) (US, 02/09/10)