Review by frankyj1624

Reviewed: 12/23/08

Short, Repetitive, Boring, and Incredibly easy, also gorgeous o_O

When I first heard that I new prince of persia was coming out I was really excited, like many others. However, exciting is the last word you could ever use to describe this game. Well first of all let me describe wat I liked.

Of course everyone will say the graphics, and no complaint here. Incredibly beautiful graphics, perfectly detailed character animation, never a flat or dull texture, it was everything we hoped for. Then there’s the storyline that is rather interesting and creates a desire and need for a sequel, but not one amazing tale or great example of storytelling. A much better combat system with plenty of great combos, definitely needed after Assassin’s Creed’s terrible one button combat. Also terrific sound is something not people will add but this game certainly has it, every step and move sounds mystical and along with a great score delivers a truly rich atmosphere. Yet I am sad to say that is where the merits for this game end. On to the cons.

Well before I start I wanna say I find it a real bold move by ubisoft to apply this new kind of gameplay mechanic to such a legendary franchise, “NEVER BEING ABLE TO DIE”. The truth is it’s not that much of a problem because it really is like going back to the last checkpoint. On the contrary the moment you enter your first boss battle you will see the major flaw in this system. PoP delivers the absolute easiest, most boring, and repetitive boss battles of all time. 4 bosses, the have the same moves each time you battle them. The computer will even automatically finish off an opponent for you, WTF. There’s no real thinking or strategizing in this game as there wer in its predecessors. So far after two run throughs I’ve only seen about 3 total puzzles. No lie but this game can literally be beat in about 5 hours.

The game is so repetitive due to the fact your backtracking every time you cleanse an area. Not only that but after seeing the platforming in AC I was rather disappointed. This is due to the fact that it’s so simple and really takes no precise timing or as I said before strategizing. If this game is a perfect example of something it would be beautiful graphics and the complete opposite for Fallout 3, a game with absolutely no replay value. I honestly cannot believe this game received nominations for game of the year. It simply doesn’t deserve them.

I would say if you are a casual gamer then rent this game, DO NOT BUY!!! As for hardcore gamers like myself don’t even bother to waste your time with it other than winning some trophies or looking at it’s gorgeous graphics.

This is one of the easiest games you will ever play and honestly because of this I believe ubisoft’s new PoP approach failed. It’s not a horrible game, yet I do find it difficult to call it a good game. Better luck on the sequel ubisoft, you’ll need.

Overall Score: 6/10

Product Release: Prince of Persia (US, 12/02/08)

Would you recommend this