Review by wolverinefan

Reviewed: 09/04/07

Don't come knockin' when the hen house is rockin'

Piyotama is a puzzle game that is available on the Playstation 3's store. Unlike most other games it does not offer a trial version. The game runs for 2.99 so it's cheaper than a value meal at McDonalds. Is the game worth your time though?

Your hen has been a little naughty in the henhouse and her eggs over floweth. So you need to toss these bad boys around before the henhouse over flows. That's the plot and it actually works with the game but it really wasn't needed.

The graphics in the game are very simple. The eggs are colored and it's easy to tell which is which. The backdrops change colors and cute little chicks pop out of the eggs when hatched. My only problem is that as you advance in levels you get tough eggs that don't allow movement and sometimes the way they land doesn't allow you to see which egg is the one holding everything up.

The sound in the game is pretty much limited tot he chicks making their cute sounds and some of the most relaxing music I've heard for a puzzle game yet. The thing is though is that the music actually fits the lazy theme of the game. Adding just a little more to the experience.

It's a puzzle game so how can the control be unique? Well first of all you just press up, down, left, and right to shift the layers of eggs. Sounds easy enough and it is. But how about rearranging the top layers by shaking the controller? How about creating a match and shaking the controller to make them hatch faster? Both things are done in the game and by the end of a 90 minute marathon my wrists actually hurt. It's done nicely and it's rather addictive when you start shaking it.

Unlike your typical puzzle game this one has you doing things differently. Imagine a rectangle on its side. This is your henhouse. Now the eggs slowly tumble down into it and you need to match four or more of a color together. Its sounds simple but you can't rotate the eggs,

Instead you can take the two eggs on the left or right and shift them to whatever tier, thus pushing the two eggs at the other end out into your outer tubing. This is how you will shift everything and it's an interesting idea.

It did take me a while to get the hang of it but after about 20 minutes I was shifting like crazy and the eggs couldn't keep up with me.

As the points increased and my levels went up a new type of egg appeared. This egg didn't allow shifting in its plane so I had to work my way around it but get rid of that egg so I could continue hatching the others.

It's a very simple formula but it does work. The problem is that the eggs never really speed up and so it got a bit tiresome after a while.

The game does offer two modes. Coop mode which has a time limit and then free mode which doesn't have a time limit. The game has no on-line or multiplayer but it does offer leader boards.

For 2.99 you really can't go wrong with this puzzle game. Sure it's just another puzzle game but it has some unique ideas and it's worth giving it a try. What's 2.99 anyway, a Starbucks coffee?

Story - 5/10
Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 8/10
Control - 9/10
Game Play - 8/10
Replay Value - 6/10

Final Score - 8/10

Product Release: Piyotama (US, 08/09/07)