For specials what does the level do?

1. For a given special we'll say blade rush you can go to the evility scholar and pay to boost it, the green number next to the icon. But there's also a bar and a level, what does that do? I know using the skill makes the level go up, but I can't tell if that actually makes it better...

Also on a related note if I pay up the effectiveness is there a way to use it at a lower effectiveness? Specifically for magic users the SP cost is much higher than I thought and it'd be nice to cast a spell at the lower power occassionally.

User Info: monkeylip

monkeylip - 10 years ago

1. There are two different things working on your skills, your boosts, and your specials levels. By using the specials ad infinitum, you can upgrade the special levels of your specials, and by using Mentors, you can boost this process along. These special levels will add a set percentage boost per special level. (However, I can't remember it off the top of my head.)

The boost ranks are seperate, and stack with the special levels. These give damage increases whose effects are readily apparent, and each one has an effective boost of around +25% damage compared to the boost rank before it (that is, 190% / 150% = 126%).

One of the things you can do to REALLY max out a character is actually get the favorite specials up to the maxed-out special level, which will take quite a bit of time and SP, but since the cap is, I believe, 255 (I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure), you can eventually rack up some major bonus damage doing this. Like the SP costs for boost ranks, however, I believe the special EXP you need to level it follows the C * (X^2 + X) formula, where C is a constant based on the special, and X is the target special level.

Keep in mind reincarnations, even as geniuses, will KILL this exp.

User Info: Wraith_Magus

Wraith_Magus - 10 years ago 0   0

1. The experience next to a Special makes it slightly more powerful the more levels it gains. It's not marginally big, so you won't notice it at all. Once you upgrade a Special, you cannot go back, so be careful.

User Info: KlayBuddy

KlayBuddy (Expert) - 10 years ago 0   1