Review by Cobalt2Blue

Reviewed: 11/20/07

Awesome FPS with Amazing Multiplayer

Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat makes its debut on the PS3 with amazing results. Not only is it, in my opinion, the best Call of Duty yet, it has one of the best multiplayer experiences of any FPS I've ever played. If you are even a passing fan of shooters or the Call of Duty series, this game is for you.

Graphics (10/10): Call of Duty 4 looks absolutely beautiful. I'm running it at 720p and it is extremely impressive with no framerate issues at all. The animation is fluid, and the soldiers and battlefields look amazing. This is definitely one of the best looking games to date.

Audio (10/10): Sound can really make or break a game, and in Call of Duty 4 the sound really enhances the experience. Weapons sound convincing, explosions sound intense, and ally and enemy soldiers sound just like you would expect. In short, the audio was extremely well done and there are no complaints here.

Controls (10/10): The controls are designed and are very easy to get used to. I like how grenades are the R2/L2 buttons and you don't have to switch to them to use them. Once again, Call of Duty 4 scores with a perfect control scheme.

Story (9/10): The story is interesting enough. Personally, I never really payed attention to it, so honestly I can't offer much of an opinion. It seemed interesting enough though.

Single Player (9/10): The single player is without a doubt an amazing and intense experience, while it lasts. You split your time being playing as a US Marine and a British SAS soldier. The new modern setting is a nice change of pace and gives the game a fresh feeling. Every mission is exciting and pits you against an interesting challenge. I won't give anything away, but there are definitely a few mission that are especially cool. The only real complaint about the single player campaign is that it is way too short. I finished it in about 6 hours on the default difficulty setting. But while it lasts, the campaign will really keep you hooked.

Multiplayer (10/10): In my opinion, the real reason to buy any FPS, and Call of Duty 4 in particular. Call of Duty 4 has one of the best multiplayer experiences of any shooter to date. The new ranking system adds and rpg element, and as you gain experience from playing games you can earn new weapons, attachments, special abilities, and camo. The online presence so far has been pretty strong, and despite some initial problems, the servers are running pretty well. There are an abundance of game modes you can unlock, and the XP system keeps you coming back for more. I've already logged in way more hours than I care to admit. If nothing else, get Call of Duty for the multiplayer, it won't be a waste.

Conclusion: Overall, Call of Duty 4 is an experience that should not be missed. I didn't give the game a 10 because no game is flawless, but Call of Duty 4 really deserves something like a 9.5, it's that good. The single player will keep you occupied initially, but the multiplayer is what will make you stay. So if shooters are your thing, do yourself a favor and get this game.

Product Release: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (US, 11/05/07)