Review by checky

Reviewed: 11/14/07

Amazing game, but seriously could have been more realistic....

Alright, Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare could possibly be the best First-Person Shooter on the market right now. Possibly one of the best of all time. It's taken all the things that made the first two games (The 3rd was a total letdown, but it's not really a part of the series) and brought it into the real world. While I do love WWII games, I think I have single handedly eliminated the entire Nazi army in my lifetime. I think we can all agree to this, and hopefully that war can stop being milked for our money. Now, let's get down to business...

Gameplay- 8
Now, I know people will argue this, but I have to make it clear: As real as this game is, if you make it to the "Next Checkpoint", the war behind you ceases to exist. This started to get on my nerves in later missions, because it seemed like my best weapon went from being a quick trigger, to smart use of my secondary grenades and my sprint. I played the game on Hardened for my first run through, and as hard as it was, (Safehouse and Ultimatum missions are prime suspects) it wasn't till after I used the sprinting that I found how easy it could be. Also, the AI could have been a bit smarter. Too many times I would shoot at enemies behind an impenetrable wall, and they would pop out just to die. In reality, you'd wait till the shooting stops then consider sticking your grape out. Still, it's a very tight game, and I believe it to be as real as it can get.

Controls- 8
If I had a mouse and keyboard for my PS3, this would be a 10. I have always hated using a controller and I think most PC gamers will agree. Controllers pale in comparison to a mouse and keyboard. Someone told me there is some kind of hybrid controller/joystick thing they have for the system that makes FPS games smoother to control, but that doesn't come standard, so I had to mark this down just for that.

Graphics- 11
Really, on a scale of 1-10, this game is beyond amazing. The weapons look gorgeous, the enviroments are almost alive, and the smoke effects stagger me. During my first mission with nightvision, I popped it on and couldn't believe they finally nailed it perfectly. If you have never served in the military, that is about as close to real as you will ever see a game capture nightvision. Hell, even the PEQ-2's are shockingly close (The laser pointers you see). The game developers really put their time and effort into making this game seem as real as having that gun in your hand as you run across enemy lines.

Sound- 10
If you aren't playing this game with a good 5.1 or even 7.1 system, you are hurting your experience. Everything from the guns firing, to the grenades blowing up, to the RPG's screaming by your head are so realistic sounding, it'll give a war vet goosebumps. The music fight the game perfectly, as it was never over-powering or even redundant. I can't say enough about the sound in this game, but I don't wanna describe every sound and how good it was...

Multiplayer- N/A
I haven't hopped online with it yet, which is a shame. Currently, I am waiting for my internet provider (Go Verizon!) to fix this issue. Not to play a violin, but I have been without cable and internet for about a week now. Thank God we aren't on a network at my work!

Overall though, this game is great. I hope they can one day change those small AI issues and the spawn-point thing too. I know it's not part of the series' design, but commands qould have been a nice touch too. I really wish I could have had Price take point a few times. He seems like a good shot, and maybe he brought a map with him.

If you were considering getting this game, don't hesitate. It's a great addition to the small library the PS3 has, and will probally stand up as one of the top games for a long time.

Product Release: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (US, 11/05/07)