Review by InFurnace

Reviewed: 11/06/07

Immersive Story, Intense Battles, Great Visuals, and an Impressive Multiplayer Experience

I’ll confess that I’m not a huge FPS fan, I prefer 3rd person play. That said, Call of Duty: 4 is all it’s cracked up to be, and a little more. The story line is very well laid out, with more than a few twists. It’s told from multiple perspectives, which is a welcome change from the usual fare. The battles are quite intense and even overwhelming at moments. I often feel like the “new guy” on the team (which really you are), and that I would surely be toast, were it not for the vets that I’m teamed up with. The combat in this game pulls no punches. Sometimes you can do everything right, and you will still die. The AI is very smart, both for your friends and enemies. Bad guys will use cover, and flush you out using grenades and rpg's. They will also flank you in short order if you sit still too long. There is a very nice selection of weapons, but thankfully, no sci-fi ray guns, or boomerang bullets. It’s strictly off the shelf boom-sticks, which is also nice.

The online component of the game is also a blast. For the first few hours, be prepared to die. A lot. I was able to work my way up to a 1.1 kill ratio on the last few games I played, and every once in a while, I actually killed a few more times than I died, but that, I suspect, had something to do with luck. I don’t want to give you the wrong idea, the multi player game is loads of fun, but again, the combat is quite brutal. As you gain rank, you are allowed access to new weapons, and camo patterns for same. You also gain access to certain perks, like increased accuracy, or stopping power. By unlocking certain achievements, you gain access to attachments for these weapons. For example: execute 25 kills with the MP5 weapon, and you are allowed to attach a reflex scope. The more achievements you unlock, the more attachments that become available, like silencers, laser sights, etc. All of this of course, makes the online play even more addictive.

Call of Duty: 4 is a great game, and a good buy for anyone interested in combat simulation games. It’s also a must-buy for any fan of the FPS genre. Go out and grab a copy. You’ll likely find yourself online, emptying a clip of 5.56 into my back, or perhaps you may just see my MP5 dumping bullets into yer face!

-if

Product Release: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (US, 11/05/07)