Review by wolverinefan

Reviewed: 02/14/07

Another weak entry into this tired series

I've actually played every Tony Hawk game except Underground 2. I feel the series has had its ups and down and frankly I don't like where the series has gone. I liked the large levels with hidden things in them and when the game played like that it felt more open than these sim like titles. That being said, what did I think of Project 8?

Again the series tries to have a story but it really isn't interesting, judging from what I gather from my soundless and text story bits. I believe Tony is holding some sort of contest and you're trying to move up in the ranks. I could be wrong though.

Graphic wise I am scared. Seriously, Tony looks like a wickedly old pedophile. Harsh I know but that is so ugly face mapping. The levels themselves also feel kind of empty and lifeless. Character models are okay but nothing exciting. I personally can't compare this to the 360 version since I only played its demo so far but neither impressed me.

Again I must state that my PS3 has no sound. It's god’s punishment for my lies to get this console. Either way, the game featured no subtitles that I could tell which caused me some issues in the stages. If you're a deaf gamer then you might want to look elsewhere for your skating needs. If I still have this game when I get a properly working PS3 I'll fix this part up a bit.

I actually find the control in this Tony Hawk to be much smoother than the other free roaming ones. It felt like I had a lot more control over my character but not needing to know any new control setups that weren't quickly explained to me at the start. Seems like a nice change for once. Not sure if this game used the tilt feature of the PS3 but I don't think it did.

The basic idea of Tony hawk has always been about performing tricks. The newer games take place in large open areas and have you talking to people to find out what they want from you. Be it busting out a score in X amount of time or doing specific moves in certain spots. It's never changed and while that could be a good or bad thing, I really dislike the mindless wandering around and the fact that I can't just pull off a ton of stunts and have a wicked score. I don't know feels like something has been lost along the way in this series.

The levels themselves aren't as large as I had hoped and not as exciting as past games but it isn't too bad. The way things are setup is nice and there is a lot of fun things to pull tricks off of but I don't know, the whole thing still felt kind of bland.

A big problem with this entry and the perfect reason why the 360 version is better is the fact that all online play has been removed from this version. No clue why but it's rather disappointing when you're paying $60 for a game that can be had on another console and that version offers an entire game play mode that keeps the game going way past when it would normally end.

Project 8 works as a nice rental but for a long term purchase I'd say go with the 360 version. This might be one of the better free roaming versions in the series; I still find this to be another weak entry into the series as a whole. I'd say pass on this all together unless you're a huge fan of Tony Hawk.

Story - 6/10