Review by smajere

Reviewed: 03/04/14

Disappointing PC port.

Thief is a re-imagining of an old PC game. For those that played it in the past, it oozes nostalgia. For those who haven't played the game, but maybe spent many hours in Fallout or Skyrim scavenging for profit, this game offers a bit more. Having watched Let's Plays of this game pre & post-release, I wasn't satisfied simply watching the world of Thief be retold. I needed the play the game myself! Having played through Skyrim as a thief (multiple times), I always felt more could be done with that genre. I own and have played Dishonored, what some called the spiritual successor to the original Thief series of games. I still felt like more could be done. So I bought a copy of Thief for the system I've loved the most over the past decade, my PS3.

Unfortunately, the PS3 version is not the version to buy.

Within 60 seconds of playing the game I experienced many screen tears and both music and voice audio dropping / skipping. This is after the 1.01 patch. This game is clearly a poor port of the XBOX/PC version. Which is a shame because the PC version looks and sounds soooo good. To charge $60 for this version of the game when the $50 PC version is superior all around (with the exception of perhaps controls), is unacceptable.

I won't spoil the story line. It's solid. The game play is decent enough and the controls at least feel good on the PS3. If you're willing to look past the very poorly executed porting of this game to a system that's proven it can have some of the best looking & sounding games, then give Thief for the PS3 a buy. Maybe with lots of patching this game's look and sound will improve. If you want a visually stunning first person game of thievery and intrigue, don't buy this game for the PS3. This isn't the droid you're looking for, or gaming system for that matter.

The PS3 is at the end of it's life cycle and we've seen stunning games like Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, to name a few, and they've proven the system can handle the graphics and sound. This feels like a Bethesda Software release -- looks great on the PC, plays very poorly on the PS3. Sadly, it's a Square Enix release of an Eidos title. One more poorly implemented game for Square.

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Thief (US, 02/25/14)