Review by PokeyBanana

Reviewed: 02/21/13

When a game gets to you this much, you know it's done something right

Not enough games have well written, mature storylines. They are becoming a little more common, but I still feel that most game stories come across as written by 14-year-olds for 14-year-olds. The Walking Dead, however, is very much an adult story which you'll need a heart of stone not to care about.

Obviously it's difficult to review a story-based game and not give away spoilers, and the last thing I'd want to do is spoil this for anyone, so all I will say is that this game made me care about every person I met. Some characters I liked some I didn't, but even the ones I didn't like very much were still well fleshed out. I ended up liking or disliking everyone because they were my kind of person or they weren't, not because they were ever poorly done.

The game forces you to make many difficult choices throughout the story, and very few are clear cut. I agonised over about three-quarters of all the decision, never knowing whether it was the best choice. It is very interesting to watch the characters change and evolve over the course of the game, you're constantly wondering who you can trust and rely on.

The game is well paced, never getting bogged down or overly fussy with forcing you to try a dozen objects against a door to try and get it to open for example. The story keeps going and drags you along for the ride, never letting you settle, which fits in well with the central theme of a zombie apocalypse.

By the time I played the game it had been patched and the only negative thing I encountered was a few slight pauses between scenes which is a little jarring but hardly something to take a point off for.

And perhaps the developers claim that 'every choice matters and effects the game' is rather overstating it. Your choices are difficult and effect the things around you immediately, but it would be impossible to hugely change the game's story as the developers are hardly going to write multiple story paths at great cost and time expense. Although I don't blame the game for this just the developers' claim. I actually liked being just a regular guy who does his best and who can't move the Earth no matter how much he'd like.

I real feel this game shows that this media really can reach for the sky in terms of artistic and creative ambition. Ultimately the biggest compliment I can give to The Walking Dead is that it made me care, made me worry, made me sad and made me hopeful.

Product Release: The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series (US, 12/11/12)

Would you recommend this