Review by Slimer12

Reviewed: 02/08/07

Darkcloud in space! Very honest review.

This is my first review, and am excited to give you a truly honest review of the game. I am the type of gamer to get my monies worth out of a game. I love to try to find all side quests, and complete them all before attempting the final boss, and this game delivers...although with a minor problem I will talk about later.

Sound - 9

The music is great. the voices are especially good, one of the best for the PS2. The only one I did not like was the annoying "princess" type character MIO, who you will not be able to forget for the life of you while you play this game. The music is nice, and fits well with where you are in the game.

Gameplay / Battles - 7

The game play is great. everything is very fluid and there is no loading times in between battles, which is great. the battles are very quick, mine usually lasted around 15-30 seconds for regular enemies, and 5 or so minutes for bosses. The only problem with the battles is the ability to annihilate everything on the screen with one special move. That is why the battles are so fast I presume, is because you could just spam the best attack you have over and over, and never take a scratch from the enemies. A few enemies this is not possible, as you will need to jump on them or jump and slash to damage them. These are nicely incorporated into the battles and add a fresh touch to some enemies.

Story - 8

The story and the battles are essentially the most important parts of an RPG, and the story is fairly engaging. I also enjoy the possibility to travel planets, discover their secrets and environments. This game keeps you intrigued as to what is waiting for you at the next planet, and you will feel like you are in a Starship flying through the galaxy yourself. All in all, the story is very engaging and fun. It will keep you coming back for more.

Sidequests - 6

This game definately has many sidequests, but the main one is by far the most invigorating one I have played in a long time. The main sidequest in this game is to raise your hunter rank to be the number 1 hunter in the galaxy. The problem with this is that you have to defeat a certain amount of enemies to receive points for this rank, and it could literally take you hours upon hours of walking around to complete these monster kills, example, kill 30 of this type of monster....

Another sidequest is called the Factory. To properly enjoy this mode, you will need patience as well. You will be making new materials using machines. The first time I tried this, I was very unimpressed, as you have to hook up all the electrical cables, and make sure the materials end up at the end at the same time. It can take you a long time to produce a useless piece of equipment, but after you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult.

There are a few more sidequest you can do in this game, but I just listed the ones that I thought you as a potential buyer should be aware of.

Replay - 5

Alright, as I said I like to get everything done in the game to get my monies worth. This game wont dissapoint, as it will take you close to 80 hours to do such. The main game can be beaten in around 40 hours without sidequests. I personally would not replay it, as the battles are monotenous, and the sidequest can be rather boring.

Overall - 35/50 - 7/10

Overall, this game deserves a hard earned 7 out of 10. Now remember that 7 is a very decent score, 70% was very hard for me to obtain on my University Law exams...

If you liked Dark Cloud 1 or 2 this game will be right up your alley. They are almost identical, but atleast in this game you get to travel in outer space, which is something I personally have always wanted to do. And for $40 Canadian, you can't go wrong.