What do people mean by 5's, 6's, etc in DDR?

1. I have heard everybody calling songs 5's, 6's , 11's, etc. I don't know what this means and am wondering, is it the number of bars below the difficulty? If so, I have a lot of work to do because I am playing mostly heavy and standard maps and those seem to be 4/5/6 bars.

User Info: schemeel

schemeel - 3 months ago

1. Yeah, that sounds like people are referring to the foot rating of a song that you see by the bars you described. It's a general indicator of the difficulty.

Before DDR X, it was done on a 1-10 scale. The higher the number, the harder the chart of course. Because 10s were getting harder and harder, they started having "flashing 10s" which was a indicator of a chart harder than 10. There technically were no 11s in this era though, so what you may have been hearing regarding an 11 was likely was people calling a flashing 10 an 11 or maybe giving said harder 10s a rating on In The Groove's rating scale, which had a similar rating system to this era. If not one of those, then they were likely taking about the DDR X rating scale.

When DDR X was made, they re-rated songs on a new scale from 1-20 through the present day to differentiate them from each other because so many "10s" of very different difficulties became confusing. Especially when some songs that should've been rated a 10 were put at a "lower" number instead to differentiate them another way, which mixed the actually-10s in the 9s and even 8s. Typically the conversion was about x1.5. So 10s like Max 300 which they seem to use as a baseline for X's rating system went to 15. Then much harder ones were rated higher accordingly.

That all being said, it can still be a bit confusing when someone says a number with no clear baseline. So when it happens, I guess you could just ask for clarification. Hope this helps!

User Info: PkGam

PkGam - 3 months ago 1   0
  2. Thanks; I still am playing on ps2 so it only has 1-10. Using your approximate 1.5x rule, the 5/6 maps i am doing are more like 8, maybe 9. When I saw that you need to be able to beat an 8 to be 'wood 1' according to Life4DDR (won't let me link a site) i got a bit scared that my month or two of practice didn't even get me close to the average person. Thanks again :)

User Info: schemeel

schemeel - 3 months ago