Review by Dueler of Fate

Reviewed: 12/19/05

A beautiful experience that invites you to awaken your fantasy fiber

The Prince of Persia and its Sands of Time trilogy left a great mark in my play days. Its majestic ambiance of the Sands of Time, the gritty over-the-top-violence of Warriors Within, and the epic magnitude of Two Thrones held me through an unforgettable journey of a prince against time itself. Putting down my controller last night really brought a sense of accomplishment in me, and I know it would take a long time for this feeling to return once more.

Two Thrones, the sequel of Warriors Within and the closing chapter in the Sands of Time Trilogy, part of Ubisoft’s generational renewal of the Prince of Persia series, is undoubtedly my favorite out of the three.

The premise is still the same: you play as a nameless Prince, tackling legions of sand monsters alike whilst scaling the tumultuous obstacles with your acrobatic antics. The story takes off where Warrior Within finished: on a return journey to his home city with the Sand Empress Kaileena, Babylon, the prince is greeted not by a homecoming parade, but with the rains of arrows and arbalest. Kaileena is soon taken away by the prince, and he makes his way through the broken buildings and cracked pavements of his hometown, trying to find out the cause and perpetrators of this madness. As the prince neared to reach Kaileena, he finds the Vizier, an old enemy from the Sands of Time, and he unleashes the malevolent sands once more. In doing so, another side of Prince is awaken, the Dark Prince, a disfigured embodiment of the prince’s hate, bloodlust, and pride. Now it’s up to the prince to stop the vizier, regain his honor, and save his people from the tormenting clutches of his enemy.

The story, while not the most brain twisting, conniving plot you’ll find today, serves perfectly as the base of this closing chapter. It is most certainly, more than what Sands of Time and Warriors Within offered. Don’t get me wrong, Sands of Time’s simplistic but whimsy aura of a thousand nights and Warrior Within’s violent struggle against fate was perfect the way it was, but Two Thrones gave you a deeper sense of character within the prince and the people around him. No longer is the prince walking through a hallway filled with the whispers of ghosts, but now the environment felt more…alive. The citizens fighting for the prince, the unique officers of the Viziers, Farah’s welcomed returned into the plot, and the prince’s charismatic other half seeking self-glory above empathy for others were the elements that I enjoyed most out of this game.

You’re probably wondering why I haven’t talked about the gameplay and mechanics of Two Thrones yet. That’s because I didn’t think it’d matter. Though you’ll find the freeform combat more than simple button mashing, or the acrobatic journey inciting you into an intellectual being, or the time altering traits that becomes the trilogy’s mark a loveable aspect, the greatest aspect of Two Thrones all was the immersion of an enthralling experience that’ll have you dazed in a fantasy aurora for days.

It was a great experience, finding the end of the prince’s journey in such a satisfying, if not, great closure of a fantasy year that expanded three years of our lives. I couldn’t give this game more than a 10 for giving me such a wonderful experience that is seriously lacking in today’s contemporary games.