Review by CstevenJ

Reviewed: 01/20/06

NEWS FLASH - This game is totally freaking awesome

To start off, I'd like to say that I'm a fan of the RotK series and the Koei company. I've enjoyed a number of their games (and still haven't played ANY KESSEN :( ) and I have enjoyed RotK VII and RotK VIII. I am practically addicted to RotK X right now.

Gameplay - The gameplay is totally awesome. I haven't seen a game better than the RotK series in gameplay. You are given the choice to play historical (according to the RotK novel) or fictional (where AI action is random). I prefer playing historical because it helps me learn what really happened according to what we know. You must work in a city, run your city, possibly even an entire army. I have enjoyed the game because of this simple reason for such a long time. You have to make sure your city isn't taken over and that isn't always the easiest thing to do. The battles are somewhat towards the realistic side, although you can only control the unit as a whole and not just one soldier, which is unlike one of Koei's other games (Dynasty Warriors). A 10-10 unit battle is pretty cool, if you ever get the chance to actually play one with full strength. I'm a big fan of the Three Kingdoms, but those aren't the only forces you can play as. You're able to join the ranks of Ma Teng, the Yellow Turbans, even Lu Bu! Everyone loves Lu Bu, right? And who can forget the unique debating system? The debate system is a pretty hard thing to get used to, so I suggest you read the instruction manual to the game. There are many unique skills of the game and it definitly takes an amazing strategy to win the game.

Purpose - I've enjoyed the purpose of this game for all of the RotK games - unite China under one rule. It seems to be such a challenge and takes very long but the game is such an addiction that you're going to want to unite China as soon as you can possibly make it so. As terrible as I am, I can't stop playing it and I doubt you won't want to stop at all as well.

Music - The music is, simply put, Chinese Orchestra. It is very good and it gives the game more UMPFH. It's really a feeling that isn't able to be described but I'm sure most people know what I mean. It adds a lot to the game, so rather than sit and look at some screens and making some decisions about whether to invade a city or not, or send some officers to go farming, you get to listen to some amazing music that comes from the basis country.

Graphics - The graphics are terrible. Why? They weren't made to be good. This style of game doesn't need to have good graphics. The subpar graphic quality is made up for in amazing gameplay and replay value and storyline excitement. Duels and people on the movement map are really the only things in 3D, and the 3D wasn't done very well (and again, wasn't made to be done very well).

Replay Value - There is nothing terrible about replaying this game. It is one of those made to be replayed over and over again. With 8 (9 including the bonus fictional) scenarios to choose from. You are able to enjoy this game in every scenario. I can guarantee, with 9 scenarios and 650 officers (plus you can create 110) to choose from, you won't get bored easily.

Style - The game is strategy. You have to plan everything out well before you can really do it to succeed. The game, in my opinion, is one of the best strategy games that is out today. The game can actually be enjoyed by both strategy and non-strategy fans alike.

Rating - 9/10

NOTE - I am not affiliated with, nor am I associated or employed by Koei Entertainment Inc. I am merely a fan of their work and got enough time off of the PS2 to write this.

Would you recommend this