Review by Pwg7

Reviewed: 03/28/05

Another good WW2 shooter ruined by bad framerate...

At first glance this one seems better than MOH:Frontline and the Call Of Duty games, with its great presentation and emphasis on your fellow soldiers. The intro sequence where you and your men are thrown out of an airplane is one of the most impressive I've ever seen.

The first level is extremely dark, and pretty much unplayable dure the day. You won't see a thing on the screen, and you'll most certainly just end up dying. I could only get past this level when I played it late at night, at which point I could actually see what was going on. I think it's a horrible way to start a game like this with a pitch black night map supposed to show you the ropes and teach you to play the game.

The graphics and sound is all very impressive, as is the mission design, but there's one thing that ultimately makes the PS2 version of this game an utterly frustrating experience, adn that is the framerate. It's quite simply too low. The game is immensely hard as it is, and aiming for enemies with the choppy framerate is extremely hard.

The situational awareness mode is good in concept, but extremely poorly done in the game. The camera movement is extremely restricted and you'll often sit and try to wiggle the camera around for ages just get a good view of the enviroment you're in. And then there's the suppresion system, which the game revolves around, which does prove a bit tiresome in the end. It's always the same: Suppress the enemy with fire and flank them. This formula quickly gets tired.

Alas, another potentially great PS2 FPS has been ruined by bad framerate. They could easily remove a lot of detail in order to make it playable, but unfortunately didn't. If they had removed a lot of detail I'm sure a lot of people would complain about that, but then I've always thought gameplay was more important than graphics, and as it is now the game is virtually unplayable, and at best a frustrating experience. I'm happy I gave this a rent and didn't cash out a fortune for it. I would have been utterly disappointed.

Rating:   1.5 - Bad