Review by Manji Desty Nova

Reviewed: 04/13/04

A great game with room for improvement

The latest installment in EA's old Knockout King franchise, it has been redone and is now known as Fight Night. Right from the get-go you can tell that this game is different from Knockout Kings, the most noticeable is that of the new Total Punch Control system. The system dictates what punch you throw at your opponent by simple movements of the Right Analog stick.

Graphics: 9
The boxers are simply put, amazing. The trainers are also quite amazing and the girls look great too unlike some other EA titles *ahem Madden 2004*. This is a game where you'll actually enjoy seeing welts, cuts, and bruises. The only thing that mars the game is the slowdown that occasionally occurs, truth to be admitted I didn't notice it until my 10th match not a lot of slowdown. Also the crowds look horrible which brings the graphics grade down.

Sound: 8
Mostly rap. I don't enjoy rap but it does set a great mood for this game, it makes the game seem very exciting. I didn't care much for ''Big Tigger'' the commentator and announcer. He didn't take anything seriously, hopefully if there is a next installment we won't have to hear from him anymore.

Controls: 10
The TPC system is confusing at first, unlike most games where you tap towards your opponent to go towards them, this game changes it up by making you tap up to go forward, down to go back, and left and right are to dance around the ring. It's sometimes frustrating to throw an uppercut when you meant to throw a hook or vice versa. The game also allows you to play the classic button layout so you don't have to use the TPC.

Funnitivity: 8
This is a great game without a doubt, but there is plenty of room for improvement. For one I suggest taking out Big Tig. The second thing they could have done better was use more up to date boxers from across the world, the 30+ lineup of boxers is cool and all, but I want to see more like Pacquiao. The career mode definitely could have been done better, there is very little reason why you want to spend your hard-earned money in this game, I suggest next year they let you buy membership to different gyms. And last but not least I would like to see more Signature punches, they're good and all, but I don't want to see another boxer use MY signature punch.

If you're a boxing fan, there hasn't been a better boxing game in the West, since dare I say, Rocky.