Review by KoolKirby

Reviewed: 01/03/05

A worthy RPG game and a great Megaman game

Megamans first foray into the RPG world (unless you count the Battle Network series as RPG's) works great. This game really doesn't have any downfalls that I can think of, it's just that it's "upfalls" don't go to far up, if you get what I mean, if not read on.

Cel Shaded Graphics work perfectly for Megaman for the most part. I'm glad capcom decided to use cel shading for this X game as well, it definitely works great. It also has superb shading effects, and the cinema scenes are mind blowingly great. There aren't to many character animations though, the character uses the same animation for almost all of their attacks, which gets really stale. But other then that, they are great.

As always in the Megaman X Series, X, Zero, and the newest companion Axl are hunting Mavericks, but this game goes deeper then just that. Each party member that you get has his/her own story, and instead of bosses that have just gone insane, these guys actually have functional brains for the most part. You can really get a feel for what is going on, but it's still nothing like Final Fantasy or Golden Sun.

Game Play: 8/10
This game plays like any RPG you've played before, the only unique things are having sub weapons, which you can use, which use up your energy percentage, but you can use them as well as your regular attack, or you can use your characters special attack, which usually requires you to press a button quickly, press the right line of buttons, ect. It's a pretty average game, but that can be a good thing with all of these complicated games coming out lately.

Sound/Audio: 7/10
The Voice Overs for the most part a fairly good, though some might not like the fact that Zero sounds Australian in this game. The music isn't remember able though, the sound effects are just O.K., and there isn't anything special running for this game. It's kind of disappointing, most Megaman Games have incredible music, but not this one. Let's hope Capcom hasn't run out of good tunes.

It's a really good game, that deserves much more attention then it's getting, and you should definitely look into it. My 8 is probably leaning more toward a nine then a seven.

Buy or Rent: Rent
It's not that long, especially for an RPG, so I suggest Renting this game first, that is if your Store has it to rent, mine does not, I bought my copy.