Review by Tidusauron77

Reviewed: 07/12/05

Katamari Damacy = One Fun Time!

Wow, that's all that can be said about this wonderful game. This is my first review and what a game to start with. Not enough wonderful things can be said about Katamari Damacy. It is unique, funny, addictive, and enjoyable to play for hours and hours. However, don't be fooled by how it looks, as I was. I shunned this game as long as I saw it. It looked ridiculous, and just down right stupid. Even after hearing how great it was on websites and TV, I still wanted nothing to do with it. Until my sister brought it over one day... After that I was hooked. I went to Best Buy right after she left and got my own copy! That's why I say this, don't judge it, until you play it! This happened to another great game in history , *cough Wind Waker cough* and yet it still was one of the best games of the year. And this is just up there with any shooter, action, adventure game there is... but in its own, weird way...

Story 8/10

This story is so weird, twisted, mean, and hilarious that you will literally bust a gut playing this game. The story is about a man, actually a king, who breaks all the stars in the sky. This man is called the King of the Cosmos. And even after he breaks all stars, he makes his son (who he doesn't give near enough respect to) make the night sky look right by making the stars one by one. How does he do this you ask? Well by using a Katamari ball of course! A Katamari is this sticky, round, ball that you roll around the levels picking up objects to make it bigger into a star. More on that though in the next section...

Gameplay 10/10

So the Prince (The King of the Cosmos's son) has the task of putting back all the stars in the sky. And he does this by rolling a Katamari ball and picking up objects. Now, at first, you'll start off with small objects and small tasks. For instance... You start with a 3cm Katamari and have to make it into a 6cm Katamari. So you do that by picking up little objects like thumbtacks, caramels, candy, crackers, and other small objects until your Katamari ball has stuck enough stuff to it that it has the measurements of 6cm. But here's the beauty of it all! Once you get to other levels, you'll get bigger and you'll be able to pick up bigger things! So then you'll start to pick up erasers, pencils, nail polish, memory cards, paper, ect. Then you get bigger that you're once enemy's like rats, can now be picked up and added to you. Then once your out of the house, you'll grow so much more huge that later you can come back and pick up the house! The way this game progresses is so ingenious that it blows my mind every time I play it.

Controls 10/10

You say you don't play video games? Don't have the coordination? Can't imput a 10 button combo in 2 seconds? We'll say no more. Katamari Damacy is a magical game for ANYONE to play. Why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T USE ANY OF THE BUTTONS! That's right! All you use is the two analog joysticks on the Playstation Controller. And yet the controls will take you one level to learn, yet many to master! The controls also seem to respond extremely well. If you want to move slowly, just tilt the sticks ever so slightly and they will move slow, yet if you break out into a run, it will follow you. So even if you are new to video games, or a pure gamer, you'll love and enjoy rolling your Katamari for hours with the fine tuned controls they have.

Music 10/10 (if only it didn't break all the laws of scoring, I would rate this 12/10)

The music in this game is but one word, phenomenal. Simply beautiful. But it's not beautiful as in classical music beautiful. I'm saying the music experience as a whole is. Hard to follow? Let me explain. The music is... Japanese Pop Music. Now don't go running for the mute button just yet! Trust me, I don't watch any anime, I don't listen to any type music other than good ol American music, but this is such great music it will make you start humming it in a heart beat. The music is nice and cheerful and it is so addictive that you will know the tunes after one hear through! You're still saying "But I won't understand it at all! And I hate Japanese music!" While you're playing the game, you won't even notice, and I promise you this music is better than ANY other video game out there. Words can't describe how good the music is, so I'm not going to even try anymore. All I have to say, is like seeing the game for a first try, don't judge until you hear it!

Graphics 8/10

What can I say? The graphics are what they are. They arn't pushing the PS2 to the limit, but they definitely arn't the worst. The graphics fit the game. They are nice and colorful and clean, and it fits the game. If they put some really real graphics into the game, it just wouldn't be the same. But you can definitely tell what is what. You can tell the difference of a crayon versus a pencil. You can see the different colors of the thumbtacks. And once you get to other environments, the scenery is just beautiful. You see the wonderful landscapes and you can see all across the ocean blue. It is truly a new type of art and animation for a game, but it fits the game so perfectly, that without it, the game would lose some of that magical touch that makes it what it is.

Replay Value 9/10

This game has more of the arcade feel then most games do now a days. Because every time you finish a level, the King of all Cosmos will save you're best stars measurements for each level, just so you can keep coming back to beat you're old record. I don't know why, let's just say its because of the magical power of the game, but you really just keep coming back to play this game! You always want to see if you can become one meter bigger. Or if you can finish the level faster then you did last time. It's the weird thing about the human mind. You always think you can do better, and that little thing in our mind is the best friend of Katamari Damacy.

Multiplayer 8/10

Yes! When you thought I was done; when you thought this game couldn't hold anything else, it did! Multiplayer! Yes that is right! Not only can you roll just by yourself, you can do it with a friend too! There is only one multiplayer type. A three minute time limit to see who can make their Katamari the largest. It's madness! While you're rolling to try and collect a lot of trinkets to make you're Katamari the biggest, your friend could be taking the offensive and attack you so you lose some of your items! I have to say it is quite enjoyable with a friend! You are always competing to see who can get the most and it is usually very close which makes for a fun time. Not the best Multiplayer I've seen in games, but I'm really glad they added it.

Save Spots 10/10

I know that a lot of people want to know where and how few and far between the save spots are. This is a great game if you're on the go. You can save anytime once you're out of a level. And you can quit a level anytime. Each level will only take you a max. of 10 minutes. And if you don't have 10 minutes, there are 3 minute levels that you can try to beat your old score on! So if you can hold out that long, you can save, shut off, and come back very often. This is an awesome game if you're one of those people that only has a few precious minutes before having to go somewhere else.

Rating ESRB= E for Everyone

This game has been rated E for everyone by the Entertainment Software Rating Board. This means the game is appropriate to be played by people of all ages. There is no bad words, no cursing, no sexual content, no drugs, no alcohol, and NO SHOOTING! This is a great game to get kids if you can't find any games suitable for them. BUT, I'M NOT SAYING THIS GAME IS ONLY FOR KIDS! Far from it actually. This game is enjoyable for people of all ages. I've seen grown men laugh and play this game and have a fun time with it. E really means, for Everyone!

Overall 10/10

Well after reading all of that, I hope you have a good understanding of what the game is and you will rethink about what you see, and listen to what you hear of people who play the game. This game brings all the best things of games and puts them together: A catchy, quirky story line that is enjoyable to all ages, addictive, awe inspiring gameplay, easy to learn, yet challenging controls for people with experience in video games and people without, music that will make your toes tap and your voice be heard, graphics that are colorful and dazzle the eyes, replay value that will make you want to come back for more and more, intense, heated, and of course, fun multiplayer action with all your friends, a great pick up/ set down game, and finally a rating that allows all people of all ages to enjoy such a great game as this. What are you waiting for? Roll into your nearest retailer store and buy Katamari Damacy for the Playstation 2 NOW!!!