Review by Janus5k

Reviewed: 01/18/05

Possibly the most addicting game ever.

In a generation filled with sequels and overdone gameplay (though quite good in many cases) there is this game. Out of all the games I have played, this one is, by far, the most unique out of all of them. Never have I before played such an addicting game, and never have I played a game that better fits the genre of 'WTF'. Read on, and you may see what I mean.

Graphics - 9/10

This is probably the worst part of the whole game, right here. And still, it is amazing. The designs for pretty much everything are blocky and not exactly very nice on the eyes. And yet... it fits the game so well, this is actually a good thing. Were the game more realistic, I can't imagine it being as entertaining or as smooth. You see, the game keeps track of every item in your katamari, even though only your most recent victims are displayed. Another funny thing is that when you pick up some creatures, they flail their arms and legs madly. The graphics alone reveal the game as the insanity it is.

Sound - 10/10

When you pick up most things, you hear a little 'bop' sound. When you pick up animals and people, they make either distressful noises or just plain random sounds. When you pick up buildings, similar sounds occur. The voice acting is pretty bad, but once again, it simply adds to the randomness and the insanity of the game, so I don't mind it. The background music, however, is probably the best I've ever heard. Most of the songs are in Japanese, so the lyrics are unknown to me, however, the one song I know is in english is actually about, of all things, Katamari Damacy. All of the music is catchy to almost a fault. I've found myself singing or tapping my fingers so several of the songs on multiple occasions.

Plot - Who cares?

Katamari Damacy lives on the principle that gameplay is the best, but they still try to give it a plot. The King of all Cosmos has destroyed all of the stars, and as his son, you must fix it. Also, when you first fix all of the stars and constellations, you will see a cut scene with the terrible voice acting I mentioned earlier. I find this alternate story a complete waste of time, but in a game where gameplay (and possibly sound) is all that matters, such things are irrelevant.

Gameplay - 15/10

No, that wasn't a typo. This game is simply that amazing. As I said earlier, the King of all Cosmos has 'accidentally' destroyed all of the stars in the sky, and you, as his son, the pint-sized prince, must restore them. To do so, you must roll a ball called a katamari around, picking up stuff, getting bigger, picking up bigger stuff, repeat until time runs out.

"Wait... what?"

Exactly.

You don't have to press any buttons. You just use the two control sticks to move your katamari around. You pick up stuff automatically. It's really funny, because in the very beginning, you can only pick up small things like thumbtacks and caramels, but eventually you get big enough to pick up people, trees, houses, skyscrapers, and eventually everything on Earth! It may not sound all that great, and the controls may seem iffy at first, but once you get used to it, you will find it to be one of the most addicting games ever made. I have spent a good bit of time on each stage, trying to get as big as possible. It's a game that keeps you coming back for more, long after you've unlocked everything and picked up even the rarest of objects, just for the random insanity (if you're into that sort of thing, of course).

Buy or Rent - Buy

Even if you find you don't like it, it's cheap. You'll only waste about $20 if you somehow manage to not like it at all. So buying it really isn't such a bad deal, since odds are it will keep you coming back for more.