Review by Kingdom Key

Reviewed: 12/02/04

Have you ever played Katamari Damacy? Maybe you can during todays rolling. Like that will happen.

Well, how can I explain Katamari Damacy. Lemme see. Ball, Drinking, Stuff, King, Stars, Constellations, Big, Royal Rainbow!

That just about sums it up. Whoops! Your dad got drunk and destroyed all the stars (Nice going dad. What did I tell you about drinking!) So you, the teeny weeny prince, have to roll up a ball called a Katamari, to pick up stuff and create stars and constellations. Once it gets big enough, you take the royal rainbow back to The King who rates you and tells you how you did. Well, that sums up the overall gameplay aspect. Now, each aspect is different...

No, I don't like it because it has blood and guts in it, because there is none of that. I like it because it's, well, so simple and fun! Here you are, a tiny thing that is only 5 cm and you eventually grow to be 300 meters! Thats right, METERS. It's one of those games that is just fun to play. Also, finding all of the royal presents and trying to pick up every single object in the game should keep you occupied. And believe me, there are a lot of things. You can pick up things from checkers to clouds, and even the thunder god. Its amazing how creative Namco can get.

Not as good as they could be, but they are perfect when they need to. The cut scenes are purposely terrible looking, because all of the people are almost perfect rectangles. Some of the cut scenes are very cool (like when you make a constellation) while others are very boring ALL because of the graphics. It's weird, and the cut scenes are even weirder. Some of the things have incredible detail, like some of the objects and the king and prince, while most are just silly looking, like the bank robbers and sea monster. Silly things, serious things, but not just the best.

The soundtrack is amazing, and just as quirky as the game it's self. One song, in full english, is about love, while another is little kids singing a happy little melody. It's very quirky, but yet, an amazing soundtrack. The sound effects are also very impressive, but eh. Many of the objects have distinct sounds when picked up (telephone when picked up makes a phone ringing sound), but most have the same two little sounds. That is the one place where the sound fails. I may be demanding too much, but still. MORE SOUND EFFECTS. Thats all that I ask for.

Controls: 9/10
They take a VERY long time to get used to, but once you have, it is actually a very realistic experience. It's simple, yet hard. Press both sticks up to go straight. One up and one down to turn, both in one direction to walk it sideways. That is actually what you do when you roll a ball. Use both hands, push it up, pull with one arm while pushing with the other. They are very realistic controls, and are VERY fun and easy once you get used to them.

Originality: 10/10
Come on, it's so simple! Why hasn't someone thought of it before! It's a ball. It's stuff. Put one and two together. A BALL OF STUFF! So simple! But wait, what will you do with this stuff? Put it where it belongs, or pick more stuff up with it? More stuff! Being clean isn't my thing. You would think that the video game industry is going downhill when they think of a game where you pick up objects with a rolling ball, but you are terribly terribly wrong. It sounds boring, but it is one of the most original and fun games that you will ever play in your life . Really. No joke.

Overall Rating for Katamari Damacy: 9/10