Review by MasterVG782

Reviewed: 10/04/04

Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!

Every once in a good while, a gem of a game comes out that is both wacky in its presentation, but also fun in its gameplay. We've seen this many times throughout the PS2's career, like Rez, Stretch Panic, and Mister Mosquito. Now, we have a new game to add to that list, which is called Katamari Damacy.

*****GRAPHICS*****
The graphics in Katamari Damacy (now known as KD) aren't exactly the best, top notch on the system. That's not to say that they don't do their job right. The graphics for KD seem to do it a bit of justice. You won't find heavily and detailed objects laying around for you to roll up. The graphics compliment the simplistic gameplay a lot. The colors are also abundant and in variety. Not too shabby.

*****CONTROLS*****
This can definitely be the downfall to some people for this game. The character and his ball (Katamari) are controlled primarily by the analog sticks. Pressing up on both will move forward, pressing down on both will move backward and so forth. Very simple, but mastering the controls can take some time. It might take a bit of time for someone to even get a simple grasp on the controls. However, once you do get the controls under your belt, the game is that much more enjoyable.

*****SOUND & MUSIC*****
The music in this game blends perfectly with the gameplay, in that it can be considered wacky as this game can seem. The main theme will be stuck in your head for many days. However, the rest of the music is best described as an acquired taste. A lot of people might enjoy it, while a lot of people might hate it.

With that said of the music, the sound effects are a completely different story. They are simply fantastic. Ranging from people screaming and shouting some weird things to ships blowing their horns, everything is VERY WELL DONE.

*****GAMEPLAY*****
The game is very simple to play. Your father destroyed the stars by accident and your job, being the prince, is to go to Earth to roll stuff up to replace them. That's the basic premise of the gameplay. You start out rolling up small objects, such as thumbtacks, candy and erasers. As you gradually progress in the levels and you build up your Katamari during these stages, you can pick up larger objects, such as cats, dogs, people and even cars (larger than that too in some of the last levels).

That's the basica premise of the Make a Star levels. You build up the Katamari to a specific size, then you may build it up even larger after that if you wish. There are also other stages where you must collect specific objects (like crabs for the Cancer constellation) and even only collect one single thing (a bear for the Ursa Major). Each stage has a time limit for you to finish by, and finishing the stage fast can net you a shooting star in addition to the one you've built.

*****REPLAY & DIFFICULTY*****
You shouldn't really have much trouble in finishing within the time limits in the game. Sometimes, it may take you a couple of tries on some of the stages, but finishing them are easy.

Also, the game is very short. There also isn't a whole lot of extras built into the game, although one could try to complete the collection album. There also is a 2-player Versus mode, in which you and a friend can compete to see who can build up the larger Katamari, while trying to destroy each other's. I haven't gotten a chance to play that, so I don't know how much it can be.

*****CONCLUSION*****
The gameplay is addicting, simplistic and can provide a few hours of entertainment. The $20 pricetag is also very nice, although I probably would have paid $40-50 for it. Definitely a must buy in my book.