Review by gothamssavior

Reviewed: 11/11/03

This game is a must-have for Transformers fans.

Let me just say that after picking this game up I have neglected my other games. I cant put it down. This is the most fun game I have played in years. On to the review...

STORY
The story is just like the original series. The voice acting may not be as good as the series but the personalities of the characters are dead on. Prime is his usual noble self, Megatron is just as evil as ever and Starscream constantly plots to overthrow Megatron. And its very entertaining. I find myself laughing at Starscream's feeble attempts to usurp Megatron's command. Plus for newbies, there are explanations on who each character is, so new fans could enjoy it as well. A lot of storylines from the cartoon are mentioned as well.

GRAPHICS
The graphics are top-notch if you ask me. The CGI movie at the beginning (plus there are others throughout the game) are excellent. The ingame graphics rival that of Beast Wars (I mean the TV show not the game.) The Transformers' bodies look metal by the way the light hits them. Some of the ingame characters look better than their CGI counterparts (Galvatron comes to mind.) All the characters who have a special way of talking in the cartoon do just that i.e. Prime's faceplate moves up and down, Wheeljacks ears light up, etc. All in all I wouldn't judge the graphics from the screenshots. They don't do them justice.

SOUND
The sound is good. The classic transform sound is included which is what I was hoping for. The lasers and footsteps don't sound like the cartoon sound effects (they sound similar to Armada) but it doesn't ruin the game. The voice acting as I have said before is not the best but it's not worst either. The character's personalities are definitely salvaged. Their voices sound robotic as well, so it's not just some guy's voice. The music is a nice touch too. It's almost reminiscent of Vince Dicola's music from Transformers: The Movie.

GAMEPLAY
This game is damn fun. It's hard at first but once you get used to the controls, it's a breeze. Each level is a full-scale battle with the occasional time limit challenge. You get to choose which side you're on Autobots or Decepticons. Then you choose who you're going to use and your two partners. You only have three on each side to start out with but as the game progresses new recruits show up to join you. Even after you finish the game you can play it over and get even more Transformers. The attacks are simple. You can punch, kick, shoot, and you pick an enemy up and throw him into his buddies. There also special attacks with signature weapons. To use any weapons you must have energy in your EP meter. Low energy even effects transforming. There are also combo attacks where you can catch your enemy in a daze and pummel the living daylights out of him. The only problem I have is that all the enemies make a B-line for you and ignore your allies until your allies attack them. But I guess the best way to take out an army is to take out the leader. The levels are large open spaces which are suitable for large battles but they're are detailed areas.

REPLAY VALUE
As I have said before you can play the game over to unlock more characters. Plus hidden in every level are extra weapons and items. Plus there are a lot of characters to choose from so you'll find yourself playing this game over and over again. I beat it twice with both factions and I still want to play more.

In conclusion, Transformers fans will love this game. Even people who never got into Transformers but would like to explore the Transformers world would enjoy this. But if you are someone who hates Transformers then this game is not for you.