Review by Tylershippam

Reviewed: 10/10/05

The greatest snowboarding game ever made

It all starts off with selecting your character then I am are put straight into a loading screen. When it finishes I am introduced to a foot-tapping, head-banging opening then without warning, I find myself speeding down a mountain, struggling with myself and trying to figure out what to do. Not a big deal, because there was nothing going on but me rolling around. The hill slowly crawls to a gentle slope and my character is cruising at around twenty-five miles an hour. (slow for this game.) I am treated to a "Yooou're listening to Radio BIG. In today's mountain news..." and I continued to listen to this news flash while cruising down a gentle course, not knowing where I am going. All the while being met with a few cute jumps and some well-placed rails. The path comes to an opening where I can choose to go to a lodge where I can edit my character and flash him up with some new equipment and clothes, or to an event. Both of these are labeled by big blue signs that are easy to read. I take thr course going to an event, never experiencing a loading screen. After around half a minute of taking small turns, small jumps and tapping my foot to an addicting drum beat, I find myself being cheered on my a huge crowd who has noticed me coming to participate. I enter the start zone and a song begins to play from the games WICKED soundtrack.I have always been a fan of the SSX series, but when I bought the third I NEVER expected anything like this. I go into the main menu and select "Conquer The Mountain."

The event begins and I get third place, no problem, I can always come back. For now, I take my $3000 reward and take a plane into the back country, which I can choose through a simple menu. After the in-game loading screen, which shows my character taking a nap on his way up the mountiain in the plane.

Then POW! I see a HUGE level, with so many paths to take: I go with the easiest one: DOWN. The music is awosome and adrenaline rushing, the jumps are massive and leave my jaw on the floor, but this is no time to pick it up, I gotta keep focus on the speed that my character is currently dropping off of a cliff at....75 miles per hour...hmmm. Good thing this is just a video game, I can attempt to laugh about it.

I could go on telling the story about my first experience, but it would be far too long...about 18 hours. Instead I'm going to go through the basics.

The gameplay never gets old, the uber tricks never stop being a blast to pull off. Especially after every successful landing to a cool trick awards me with a comment from my character like "I'm worth evvvery nickle." and a crash will cause him to say. "That WASN'T praise worthy..."

The game is humorous and does a great job of keeping things fresh. When you are racing, enemies will taunt you if you fall behind, while allies will cheer you on saying "C'mon, man! Keep it together!"
The events all feel different from one another. These include: Big Air, Slopestyle, and race. Of course you can also take rivals on in the back country which is very satisfying.

Let's sum up what we've covered: The game is fun and gameplay never gets old, characters are funny and all have very unique personalities and going from event to event is simple. Now what?

Will the game get old? No. You're crazy for even thinking that. Every course, including back country has collectibles. Which are found by exploring all the routes to take on each course (WHICH IS ALOT) you can purchase new clothes, boards, hairstyles, and cartoon heads to goof around. You can purchase new songs and ride to your own soundtrack or spend your money leveling your character up, acquiring new stats to keep up with the competition.

The game doesn't get old, the music always keeps you on edge and the replay value is amongst the best I have ever seen. (I didn't do a good job of explaining it, believe me.)

This game is more than worth the price of twenty dollars, which it is now available for. If you see it, buy it. You can't go wrong. This game is great fun for the whole family and anyone dissapointed with it should be smacked...not literally, but they probably just hate snowboarding as a sport.

10/10!