Review by GooberSD

Reviewed: 11/18/10

You Just Can't Beat The Original

In the current generation of gaming, everyone has at least heard of Disgaea. The series has kind of made it's staple mark in gaming as one of the finest RPG series out there. But back in 2003 when Disgaea: Hour of Darkness was first released, no one had heard of the game. I myself only played it by receiving it as a gift from a friend, and when I opened the box, I thought, "What the hell is this?" But the game said on the back cover, that it kicks ass... and boy does it.

STORY

The story to Disgaea is simple and sweet. Inside the Demon world, the heir to the throne of all demoness, Laharl, accidentally takes a two year nap. When he wakes up, he learns that his father has passed away by choking on a pretzel, and that everyone now thinks he's dead. The story is essentially about Laharl trying to keep his throne/title, but it eventually evolves into a story that's much more complicated. In the end though, it' brilliant.

Score: 10/10

PRESENTATION

The first thing you'll notice about Disgaea is the simplicity of the game. Presented in old 16 bit graphics, the game looks rather dated. For many people this is a major problem. But for me, I love the old style of graphics, and so this instantly made me sucked into the game. Add top-notch voice actors, cute anime style characters, multiple endings, flawless dialogue, a charming musical score and animation that's to die for, and Disgaea almost has its own style. My only complaint about the presentation, is the fact that there are no animated cut-scenes. The game is done in an anime style, and it's a little disappointing to see that this was never fully utilized. (However there is a Disgaea anime for the hardcore fans.)

Score: 9.5/10

GAMEPLAY

This is the real beef of the game. It's "guns" if you will. The thing that makes Disgaea so great is the fact that there are literally endless possibilities. You can play through this game a million times, and it will always be different... and it will never stop offering things to do. Disgaea is one of the few games that you can literally play for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Whether you're wanting to personally level up your army, level up your items/weapons, gain political power, or just beat things up, the game never stops offering things to do. Not to mention the fact that the game has several different endings, that are more than enough reason to play through the game more than once. Disgaea is simply the greatest Tactical RPG ever made. Ask anyone, and they won't argue. The game is a masterpiece, that still has me playing it seven years later. Flawless, perfect gameplay.

Score: 10/10

Disgaea has now evolved into a huge series with a million spin-offs on the PS3, PSP, PS2, and now the Nintendo DS... these games are almost all clones of the original game. The sad part is that none of them come close to surpassing the original title. They're all fun, but none of them have that same charm that the original has. Amazing game.

So that was my very short and quick review of Disgaea. I mainly wrote it because I was bored. So there ya go. Go buy it already if you haven't yet.

FINAL SCORE: 10/10

Product Release: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (US, 08/27/03)