Review by Grand Admiral

Reviewed: 10/16/02 | Updated: 10/16/02

Gameus Reviewus

I don't like cel shaded games. I personally think there ugly. And on top of that I have not enjoyed a platformer since Mario 64. So what on God's green earth compelled me to give this game my coveted 9/10? Because I've finally found a game that can do these things right.

I'm serious. I honestly believe that developers use cel shading because it's ''hip'' and ''cool''. I think that there is a time for cel shading and a time for regualr Joe graphics. Sly Cooper definitely makes good use of the cel shade technique. The story, which I swear is pulled straight from Cartoon Network, benefits from this greatly. The bright and vibrant enviornments enhances the overall kiddy (but cute and interesting) theme.

You play the role of Sly Cooper who comes from a long line of thieving raccoons. All of his families secrets have been recorded in the Thievius Raccoonus. However, on the day Sly was suppose to inherit the sacred text it was stolen and his father kidnapped by none other then THE FIENDISH 5! Now its a race against time (not really) to recover the Thievius Raccoonus and rescue your poor father. While the plot is no Pulitzer prize winner it is interesting enough to continue through the game and to view the action packed cinema sequences.

So what makes this platformer stand out from the rest of them? For one Sly Cooper has added the element of stealth. Evading search lights and patrolling guards are commonplace. Gives you a Metal Gear Solid feel for those who have played it. There are also many more options as compared to the likes of Jak and Daxter and Crash. Every page of the Thievius Raccoonus opens up new techniques of thievery and assault.

The music in this game compliments the game theme very well. Also the transition to sneaky themes when using thief maneuvers are very smooth and add to the game greatly.

So what prevents Sly Cooper from the Holy Grail?(10/10) The camera has a tendency to be blocked by buildings and other structures. A manual camera would have benefited greatly in this game. Although it doesn't happen very often, it can get annoying when it does. Some people will also complain that its too short, but if you complete every level at 100% you should get a good 10-15 hours out of it which is plenty for a platformer.

Would Grand Admiral rent or buy? Sly Cooper is a great addition to any PS2 gamers collection. Fans of platformers should buy this ASAP. This is also a good game for the uninitiated. Overall a safe buy.

Grade: 9/10 (A)