Review by IceMan1404

Reviewed: 03/12/02 | Updated: 03/12/02

Fun but could have been great

If I had a toss up between this years version of Knock Out Kings and lasts. I would more than likely pick lasts just because personally I preferred its representation of the sport of boxing.

I liked them they were clean and fairly fluid with very little jag. Were they anything special no, but they had some nice effects like the damaging of the face and the blood and sweat that are shown after you get hit. In the end though they just come up above par could have been polished better but not horrible.

The gameplay is very easy to pick up very simple button lay out allows anyone to jump into the fray and enjoy themselves. While for the more inclined fighters the simple punches paired with the L Button effects can offer some serious combos and strategy. I personally hate how the analog stick works but I know a lot of people that like it so it can't be all that bad I guess. It just seems to me if your pressing up that shouldn't always move you towards your opponent on the offensive and back should always move you away. It seems like it should be whatever what you press is the way you go but hey I didn't design it.

Sound and Music: 7/10

The sound effects work not stunning but they work. You hear the normal bells and hit noises. The music is normal you don't really notice it, so it doesn't come off as bad or good. The announcers are what really annoyed me, they are boring and say a lot of miss information on where a blow landed and such.

All and all Knock Out Kings 2002 is a fun game that just about any fighting fan can get in to. If you want to save money I would go with the 2001 edition because it will give you just as good of an experience in my book. Is there a need to have both? No, but that wouldn't stop me from buying both because both offer totally different gameplay. Plus they both offer good replay value and the challenge is there to make sure you don't get to bored. So take your pick it's all preference really. If you like a more challenging but more rewarding attack system get 2001. If you like a more arcade feel get 2002.