Review by trev913

Reviewed: 07/20/03 | Updated: 07/20/03

Agent 47 Doesn't Do Normal Hits...

Aside from the original Hitman, this is the first game where you play the role of...a hitman. A killer for hire, a specialist, a cleaner, call it what you will, this game is grandly original. The return of the man known only as 47 is stunning in all departments; graphics, gameplay, sound, and just overall, it's one of the best games I've played in a long while. Now, just for those who don't quite know the story of 47, neither do we. He's a hitman, as stated, and he's coming out of retirement. Why? A good friend of his Father Vitorrio was kidnapped by Italian mob bosses. So, after seeing a killer cutscene, you become introduced to your ''tool shed'', where you'll be keeping an absolutely amazing arsenal of weapons, including the ones you don't normally see in a game (the ''Ballers'', a crossbow, chloroform, fiber wire). After covering the regular bases, you get pitched into Sicily, where you must stealthily search for Father V, while simultaneously dealing with mobsters. You come to find that you're too late to catch Father Vittorio, so after eliminating ''Don'', you're off on another mission, this time as payback to a group known as ''Agency'', which is 47's employer. From there, the story escalates, taking you to such places as Afghanistan, St. Petersburg, Japan, and back to Sicily. The only things that really plague this game are the details. Such as: How did you go from Russia to Sicily to Japan in 10 minutes. The story pretty much tells it, I'll say, but I'll also say, for a game this good, it needs to flaunt what it can do. Now for the review...

Gameplay - 8/10 - The gameplay is über excellent. However, things like the seemingly inane amount of bullets it takes to kill 47, as well as the above par (especially for a third-person shooter), but still a pain in the arse camera. But good points far outnumber the itty-bits. Such as the insanely huge arsenal of weapons that, while not original, provides you with basically what you need when you need it. I also like the fact that your pockets, while bottomless for pistols and the like, only allow you so much room. For instance, in games like Goldeneye 007, and just about any other shooter, you can carry every gun you'd like. This time around, there's a slight curve to that, you can carry a bunch of pistols, sure, but as far as packing an SVD, a crossbow, and a 12-gauge, it isn't happening. This keeps it realistic to the point of regret. As in you get to your mission, you set up, and you realize that you need an SVD, and not a SP12, or something to the likes of that.

Story/Plot - 9.5/10 - This is the most original storyline I've seen for a game since the original Grand Theft Auto. However, one thing that did sort of nick me was that it really had nothing I wouldn't expect. You were expecting the normal fight with a boss at the end, you were expecting a somewhat happy, yet remaining conclusive ending. But it is a detailed story. Each mission consists of a couple of objectives. For example, in several missions, your objective is eliminate a certain person, you'll come to recognize your targets via the briefings of a faceless woman, Diana.

Sound - 10/10 - Beautiful. The sounds are just plain beautiful. In case you didn't catch the credits to the game, the soundtrack is comprised of the soundings of the Budapest Symphony Orchestra and Choir. In my opinion, that alone makes the sound one of the best aspects of the game. But, there's more, the sound effects. While they are your average ''booms'' ''bangs'' and ''twangs'', they aren't. There's something about them that puts them a step ahead of anything else. They're just plain awesome.

Replay Value - 9/10 - Hitman 2 is a game where, the more you play it, the more you come to see, the more attention you pay. Now, while on your 146th run through the same mission, it may get a little boring, but what doesn't. What I'm saying here is that you'll come to expect things, but it won't really become boring...save for that 146th run ;-).

Overall - 8/10 - While being relatively lax in the departments of the uniqueness of the weapons, Hitman 2 is an excellent Mission-Impossible-esque game that allows you to use both your brain, as well as your brawn. As said in several other reviews, this game has style, a lot of it. And if I had to tell you whether to rent or to buy it, I'd tell you to rent it several times, then if you love it enough, buy it. It's one of those games that people who love playing mindless shooters that are reminiscent of games like Grand Theft Auto III (great game, don't get me wrong, but there's something I don't like about just creaming everything in sight) will get tired of easily, but those of you who dig combining brains and brawn, make a ''hit'' on this.