Review by DEUStantus

Reviewed: 12/02/02 | Updated: 12/03/02

Silent Assassins Wanted: Apply Within

OVERVIEW:
If there were one game that I had to choose to be the ''Most Overlooked'' game of the year, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin would have my vote. You see, Hitman 2 is a game I heard very little about, and when I decided to go ahead and play it; I had no idea what I was getting myself into. This game is phenomenal although. The graphics are outstanding, the music is thrilling, the controls are excellent, and the game just has that certain ''wow'' factor that gets you hooked right from the start.

Throughout Hitman 2 you play as Agent 47, a genetically enhanced assassin who put up his guns and moved in to a small old church. After the kidnapping of a dear friend Agent 47 loads his guns and resumes his life as an assassin. As you play Hitman 2 you will be given several options as to how you will complete a level. You can run in, guns a blazin' or you can map out your plan and go in using stealth. Either way you choose this game will certainly deliver a delightful storyline coupled with the best of graphics, sound, and control.

GRAPHICS:
(7/10):
The graphics of Hitman 2 are well done and show a lot of detail to Agent 47's surroundings. Throughout the game you will travel to many locations and see many sights, all of which are done well and in great detail. With all the praise the graphics get there seemed to have been some small, very minor jaggies in some areas of the game. There were some other graphical mishaps while playing that weren't so minor. For instance, when trying to walk across the narrow ledge of a building, Agent 47 appears to walk normally across the ledge. You'd atleast expect some kind of, grasp the wall movement, but there is none. In fact, Agent 47 appears to float at times, and when going up slopes his feet will go through the ground. Although the game shows great detail, there are too many large graphical mistakes to give Hitman 2 and score higher than 7.

STORY:
(10/10)
Hitman 2 has a deeply engrossing storyline, so much that I found myself wanting to never turn it off. As you progress through the game, you'll have to complete missions while continuing to search for your kidnapped friend. Every mission takes you somewhere new, and offers a new chance to use your cunning intelligence to outsmart the enemy. Continuing through each level you'll view another CG sequence (which seem to have become common in games today) which will further the deep plot line.

FUN FACTOR:
(10/10)
Hitman 2 has a surprising amount of fun to it. From the moment I started playing I was deeply engrossed in the story and game play until I was forced to take a break. Hitman 2 has some great aspects that help keep you coming back, some include: unlockable weapons, deep levels, deep storyline, and great challenges that will keep the perfectionist working through the night. Overall, Hitman 2 is nearly perfect in every way when it comes to pleasing the gamer with tons of fun!

SOUND:
(10/10):
May I say, this is the only game I have ever actually had my heart accelerate to. I actually had to put the controller down at one point and take deep breaths because the music added such suspense to the game. Honestly, the music in Hitman 2 adds to the already exciting game. This is definitely a scoot to the edge of your seat game, and the music is a big factor there.

CONTROLS:
(9/10):
On your first go around you will discover that the controls in Hitman 2 may be hard to get just right. Since the movement is made with the left analog stick, and the direction of Agent 47 is changed with the right analog stick, you may sometimes confuse them at climactic points in the game. Fear not though, Hitman 2 allows you to take your time while at Agent 47's home, time well used on getting the hang of the controls.

REPLAY:
(10/10):
One of my favorite parts of a game is replay value. To me, replay value is being able to pay $50 for a game and enjoy it for more than a few days. Replay value is what makes it worth actually spending that money and this game really does deliver. Not only can you select from three different difficulty settings, but by getting the highest rank you can unlock special weapons. This truly is a marvelous way to keep the best players coming back for more.

WHAT ELSE?
What could have made this game a perfect 10?
What else would make Hitman 2: Silent Assassin a greater game? What did the developers miss besides having a few minor jaggies? How about having the ability to punch? That seems to be a nice method of disposing of an enemy when no other weapon is available. It's quick, it's clean, no fuss, no muss. Just a good clean sucker punch and they're outta the game.

RENT OR BUY?
If there was ever a game I would highly recommend buying, it's Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. What more can I say? This game delivers, and in a big way.

SCORE SUMMARY: