Review by DOA

Reviewed: 10/11/02 | Updated: 10/11/02

This assassin should have stayed in retirement.

Fresh off of 2000's surprise PC hit, Hitman. Edios brings us the sequel: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. A bit of a disappointment. Personally, I have never played the first Hitman for the PC. So I was skeptical about this title. I thought it was going to be like Dues Ex.

The story takes place in Sicily. 47 has been in retirement, working at a church. When the preacher is kidnapped by some mobsters, 47 comes out of retirement to find him and uncover the reasons why he was kidnapped. Thus it starts our little tale.

Graphic wise Hitman boasts it's regular PC port visuals with no real flare. The real kicker is the bad the camera. It can be right behind you one second then it'll be somewhere else in a few seconds. It never stays consistent. No matter what you do. Thus, making it almost impossible to sneak about during missions.

Onto the sound quality. The sounds of snow under your feet when you're in Leningrad, Russia. To the sounds of various gunfire. Voice acting is particularly strong in this area. Italians will speak Italian, Russians will scream at you in Russian. 47, for some unknown reason reminds me of Race Bannon. Only bad side about this is that the lip-syncing is almost none existent.

Gameplay is in the hit/miss area. Some of the methods of killing are really unique, like wrapping some fiber wire around an enemies' neck or using a sniper rifle from a distance. But trying to get the camera to stay in one place can be a real hassle. Not only that, sneaking around is really pointless since you have to use both analog sticks to move around. But changing from first-person view to third-person view is executed really nicely. But even that has it's flaws. Aiming in third-person is not as precise as it would be to switch over to first-person which tends to be more accurate when you're trying to take someone down.

As far as replay value goes this doesn't have much to offer you. Most of the stuff found on the disk are just some trailers for a few upcoming games like Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Army, err, Angel of Darkness, Timesplitters 2 and a shameless promotional trailer for Hitman 2.

Graphics: 7

It's what you get for a PC port. The graphics are not as dated as Dues Ex, which is good. But it's the camera that's the kicker right behind you then it's somewhere else.

Sound: 8

Sounds on this game are spot on. From gun-fire blazing, to the sounds of Russian it's all good. The thing that takes it down a few notches is the shoddy and noticeable lip-syncing.

Gameplay: 5

It's a hit/miss scenario. That's all I can say. Some areas of the game it feels right at home. While in others it makes me want to rip my hair out because of the lousy camera positioning.

Replay Value: 4

There's nothing really redeeming in this game. Just a few trailers for upcoming Edios' games. And really, where's the God mode?

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is definitely not my preference for a PC port. I'll take Dues Ex over this game any day of the week. Give this a rental. Beat it. Take it back. Never give it a second thought. This is one of those rare PC ports that I just don't like. Definitely not my choice for game of the year and it's definitely not the best game ever made. That's for sure. Well, at least for the most part it's not as bad as Devil May Cry.