Review by Kpax00

Reviewed: 02/03/03 | Updated: 02/03/03

Today Lesson: How to spell NAVY SEALS

Now time for First Thoughts

The first time I saw this game it looked pretty cool. An online multiplayer shooter game with headset capabilities. You could talk to you team and tell them your mission. But it was $60, $10 more then a usual Playstation 2 game. But the free headset makes up for it.
After looking at the box, I saw it had only 12 missions. This was very disappointing, but it appeared the missions were long and had any objectives. Then I saw 30 GUNS! Wow! 30 great guns, ranging from Sniper Rifles, to Machine guns, to Silenced Pistols, to grenades. This game looked great!

First Thoughts: 9/10

A Short but sweet single player mode

After playing the first mission, I was amazed how hard these missions could be. You had to be stealthy, very stealthy. You could hide in shadows and be right behind a guy with your gun to his back and he would never know.
Now lets say you don't want to get killed by rushing into an area, then you could tell your team to kill all the men there. This would most likely get the team killed, but sometimes you must do this. Speaking of your team. They listen and know your commands. You could say ''COVER AREA'' and they would do so. They are a very loyal group of soldiers.
As you get further in the game you must rescue hostages, gather intel and kidnap enemies and much more. Fun, but very short.

Single Player: 7/10

Very good graphics

Wow. Where to start...well the movies look very realistic. They are like the graphics in the Final Fantasy Movie. They look great.
As for the in-play graphics, they are even better! I could of sworn real Seals were on my screen. They blend in with the environment, and makes the game look even better. The graphics make me feel like a real Seal.

Yes, I love the sound.

Now imagine, your hiding in a hall way and you start to hear footsteps, you quickly get your gun out and wait. Then you accidentally fire a round. The footsteps stop and then start again. This is what happens in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs.
By firing a round you could get the enemies attention. So as you can see sound is very important in this game.
And how great the sound is! Being able to hear footsteps, gunshots, and almost anything that an enemy does, is an advantage, but it can also be a disadvantage.

Story, none really

This game has no story. Whatever your mission is, you do it. It's usually to kill. Your really on a quest to eliminate terrorist groups and stop them from doing bad stuff.....

Easy controls for....Experts

Yes the controls are the same as almost all shooters. And you can customize them! There are two different types of controls you can choose. Easy or Expert. Easy is where you only use one analog stick. Expert is where you use two joysticks. I use expert for maximum gameplay.

Controls: 9/10

Amazing online play

Online play is the reason I bought this game. To clear up any questions, it's FREE! No monthly fees! All you need to buy it a $30 network adapter and a cord and your playing online. You and a team of up to 7 others(8 in all) go around shooting players(8 or less) on the other team. Stealth is key to win. You can choose any gun, a pistol, and 3 grenades/extra ammo. You can now experience what it is like to verse actual people, no just computer AI players.
You can join a clan. It's like a group of people who play together. Or you could make one.
Many people will tell you about lag. Well if you have cable, there is little or no lag. Perfect online play.

Online Play: 10/10

Limitless Replay

With online play you'll never be bored. Single play mode can get boring, but shooting your friends online never gets boring!

Replay: 10/10

Save up and get this

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs is the best game of 2002 and 2003. Buy it if you have or are getting a network adapter. Rent if you are not. But trust me, you can't go wrong here.

Pros
-Great Graphics
-Great Sound
-Online play is amazing
-Detailed Single Player mode
-Limitless Replay

Cons
-No story
-Short single player mode

Final Score: 9/10