Review by ps2insight

Reviewed: 08/29/02 | Updated: 08/29/02

Innovative Game of the Year

What can I say about Socom other than it is the best squad based game to come out in years. Rainbox Six started the trend but Socom is the one to take it to the next level.

Presentation: Not the prettiest CG but why does it matter with the excellent menus, voice communication, packaging, and the unbelievable voice recognition.

Control: This is what I have been waiting for as long as I can rember. I love squad based games but the controls have always been rather crappy. Now with Socom it is unbelievable. Dead on voice recognition makes controlling your squad as easy as saying your ABCs. Now switchting your weapons could have been a little better but after a hour of play it is pretty damn simple.

Graphics: If there is one thing that I have to complain about is the graphics. They do look good but this game has been delayed for almost a year and it has the first gen graphics look. Now I can carless about this since the game is so fun but Zipper could have done a little better than this.

Fun Factor: Holy crap! The first time I told one of my team members what to do I almost fell off my couch. You can screw with them if you get bored. I have not had so much fun since Halo and MGS2. Socom will have you going through the single player mode at least twice.

Replay: This will depend on how many mature people there are playing this game. I have already seen those lame arse quake players trying to run and gun everything that moves as well as TKers. However if find a group of guys that are mature the replay is almost endless. Plus I am sure most of you will play the single player at least twice.

Setup: I was wondering on how easy it would be to set up. I didn't get the Sony Adaptor because I already had a Ethernet adapter and did not want TMB: Online. However I can tell you that if know how to connect to the interent then you can get online with Socom.

Pros
Headset (This is the next level in gaming)
Online Capability
Replay Value is High
Best 3rd person controls

Cons
Graphics
Immature Players online

Overall this is the best game to come out since Halo and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Go out and buy this game and enjoy. Even if you don't have broadband it is still worth the purchase.