Review by a1532b

Reviewed: 08/12/02 | Updated: 08/12/02

Just like the cartoon

Batman Vengeance is an amazing game. It looks and feels exactly like the 90's cartoon. (except it wasn't in 3D) You get to use many of Batmans gadgets, like batarangs, batgrapple, batscope, etc. In addition to that, you will also have a few vehicles to drive, like the batmobile, or the batplane. Pretty fun stuff.

Graphics-10
Ok Ok, I know graphics don't matter in a game, but they sure do make it better. This game has Amazing graphics that stay true to the cartoon show from the late 90's. There isn't any slow down at all, at least none I've seen. Even when there are many sprites on the screen at the same time, there's no lag. Also, the cut scenes are very smooth and fluent. You can also control the camera during gameplay, which is also a plus.

Sound-9
The music in this game is great. Each piece goes perfectly with the atmosphere of the game. The reasons I docked a point was because when fighting enemys, it sometimes sounds like you are hitting them with an anvil, or a very heavy piece of metal. That and the tunes keep getting stuck in my head.

Controls-7
This is the games low point. The controls are very responsive....except when you need them to work for you the most. A good example of this is the Batmobile stage. You have to press R1 whenever you turn around a corner, and it like, never registered. I spent the most time trying to get past the stage. Also, there are several parts where you are sliding down a hill, and you have to jump over a hole, or several, or a pit, or something else. You don't always jump though. Other problems are with the Batgadgets. The batgrapple is a prime example. You have to use the control stick and point where to fire it to, but you can only grapple on to certain places. Since the controls are pretty loose on it, you can expect to take a lot of damage if there are any enemys in the room. The rest of the game is pretty good though. Fighting is very simplistic and intuitive.

Gameplay-7
Here's where it all matters. You run around as the dark knight and fight bad guys through the whole game. Sounds good huh? Well it could have been better. Once you get close to an enemy, you will automatically go into a fight. The fights are real time, and every time you land a hit, or get hit, a little bar fills up at the top of the screen. When the bar is full, you have the option of performing a power move, which does serious damage. My only problem with fighting is you can't run away from any of them, and the enemys always block....constantly....it is rare to actually land a hit on the enemy. Then, when you KO an enemy, you have to handcuff them or they will get back up and attack you again. This makes it hard if you run out of batcuffs. Another problem is your path isn't always laid out, and it's sometimes hard to figure out where to go next. Those are pretty much the only problems though.

Replay Value-8 This game is really fun once you get used to it. There are hidden items scattered throughout the game, and getting them will unlock secret stuff, like infinite ammo for everything. Also, you get points at the end of every ''mission'' and the more points you get total through the entire game, the bigger and better special attacks you get. You'll find yourself coming back to this game over and over again.

Buy, Rent, or travel back in time to prevent it's creation Rent it. This game might not be for everyone since controls are bad in spots, but if you like it, BUY THIS GAME! I've had it for about 2 months now, and I keep coming back to it. It's a pretty good game, so at least try it out once.