Review by Batman

Reviewed: 10/19/01 | Updated: 10/19/01

A game that us Batfans can enjoy!

I decided to wait till I played the game a bit,to get a feeling of the game before writing a review for it, that way I wouldn't be writing on first impressions or the fact that it was a Batman game. I am a huge fan of Batman (in any form) and was anxiously awaiting this game. Thankfully I was not disappointed in it as I was the past few Batman games on the ''next gen'' systems.

Batman: Vengeance takes everything about the Batman experience and attempts to put it into one game...and does a pretty good job at it as well. Where Batman & Robin for the PSX failed, this game shines through. You control the Dark Knight through various ''episodes'' as he attempts to stop Gotham's criminal element from taking over his city. At your disposal are the Batmobile, Batwing (plane), Batarangs, Bat-grapple and other Bat-gadgets often seen in the animated series.

Batman and the gang look like 3D versions of their animated counterparts. Beautifully done. Gotham comes to life as does it's inhabitants in a CGI world matching the quality of the animated series.

The music captures the mood of the scenes with the heroic Batman theme played when necessary. The ''whoosh'' of Batman's cape as he jumps and flies through the air with the aid of the Bat-grapple is near perfect. The sound effects are do what they are supposed to do and with the actual cast of the animated series providing the voices of the characters themselves, how can you go wrong?

Control: 8/10
This is an area where some people have written having a problem with. It's not the best but definitely not the worst. I caught on pretty quickly...it's a little like controlling Laura in the Tomb Raider series but once you get a hang of what button does what there really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This is the best Batman game to come along in a long time...the last really good Batman game I can think of was ''The Adventures of Batman & Robin'' for the SNES. I think it's kinda interesting that the better Batman games to come out so far were based on the animated series. The only thing that really detracts from the game is that it really is quite linear. You can only open the door that will lead you to the next ''area'', all the other doors are just part of the background and thus you can't really roam or explore the area. Grappling is also very...specific. There are only certain areas you can grapple on to eliminating the ability to just pull out the grappling gun, aim up and fire. It would have been nice if you could just grapple onto most upper areas and pull yourself up (kinda like Tenchu).

With all the ''little'' gripes I had about certain parts of the game, this game really is enjoyable and fun. It puts you in the role of the Dark Knight himself. Again, it could just be the Batman fan in me saying all this but I really do think this is one of the better games to come out this year and besides with all the fun I'm having with this game, I don't really need any other games right now...