Review by highlander133

Reviewed: 10/18/01 | Updated: 10/18/01

Dark Knight is enjoyable experience

Coming into this game, I really didn't know what to expect. I had heard that this game is based on the animated tv series (which is true), and I had only caught a few episodes of the show. But being a big Batman movie fan, and having some extra cash to spend, I picked up the game and was rewarded with a very pleasant surprise. While it has it's drawbacks, overall Batman: Venegance is a solid buy.

Gameplay: If you are looking for a game that controls like a dream, look elsewhere. While B:V isn't the worst game I've played in this area by a longshot, the game could use some tightening up. I don't think it's nearly as big a concern as what some people have made it out to be, but it definitely takes some getting used to.
Having said that, I really enjoy how the game plays. You have access to a lot of the really cool Batman toys - Batarang, flash bombs, and the incredibly cool Batgrapple. They all take practice to use, so make good use of the obstacle course at the beginning. You'll be glad you did.
While the game isn't intuitive like Devil May Cry, it's not bad either, and has some strong points. 7/10

Story: Typical Batman story. Which is great, in my opinion. I won't give it away, but the Joker is here, as are a few other famed villians from the series. Nothing Final-Fantasy-like here, but solid, nonetheless. 8/10

Audio/Video: Think of a typical Batman scene. What time did that scene take place? That's right, nighttime. This game has a tendency to be very dark. As a plus, at the beginning, one of the first things the game allows you to do is to increase the brightness. Do yourself a favor, and turn it up to where you think it's good. Then turn it up a little more.
The cutscenes in this game are really solid, as well. The graphics in these are just like watching the animated tv show. Very high quality.
To be honest, I really didn't notice too much about the sound. It didn't blow me away, but it didn't suck either. Nothing great, nothing awful. 8/10

Replayability: I know I will replay this game just because I love Batman. I'm hooked on using the batgrapple. If you are a big Batman fan, you'll play it a lot, I think. If you are just an occasional Bat-fan, probably once through will do you just fine. 8/10

Buy/Rent: Like Batman? Really solid rental. Love Batman? Buy it, come home, turn the lights off, and enjoy Gotham.