How to fix a PS1 that freezes on loading screens?

1. Hello,

half a year ago I got a PS1 and have been using it occasionally. Some weeks ago I noticed that the console seems to get stuck up on loading screens. Sometimes it loads the next in-game area and I can continue to play, other times it does not. When this happens I usually turn the console on and off several times, until it works again. But of course that is super annoying (and I only got 1 hour each day for old games). Is there any help or is it a sign that my PS1 is on it' s way to the grave?

Any help is appreciated.

User Info: Rabastan

Rabastan - 9 months ago

1. That sounds like what may be the most common problem with the PS1, skipping and not reading games, especially during loading screens. Usually the problem gets even worse as the age of the console increases, so lasers wear out and don't work as well. The good news is that parts are readily available on line, just look for PS1 parts. There are also some good videos or step-by-step instructions with images found online that can help you repair them yourself.

It is up to you if you want to try replacing the laser, try to find someone to do it for you, or just replace the console. Good luck!

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k (Expert) - 9 months ago 1   0

1. Just replaced the optical drive on my ps1. They take a while to come from China, but they are easy to replace. Search YouTube for installation guides, just be careful with the ribbon ends.

User Info: RetroChiGuy1212

RetroChiGuy1212 - 8 months ago 0   0