Why is my PS1 not working correctly with my TV?

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with the connecting cable, since it worked completely fine on my big Samsung flatscreen, but i moved it to my much smaller Vizio TV in my bedroom and had a couple different weird errors with it. I was mostly using Bubsy 3D to test if it was working since I had no problem with it if something happened to that vomit-on-a-disc game. I tested a couple others too out of curiosity and each worked slightly differently.

Firstly, it only displayed in black and white. No matter where I moved the cables in the component plugins, I couldn't change it to color. I'm fairly certain the TV is NTSC, and so is my PlayStation. I did also try plugging a DVD player into the same plugins, and that also displayed in black and white despite working perfectly fine on the living room TV. Messing with the color settings didn't do a thing to fix this. I know for a fact the TV is capable of color display, since I also have a Dreamcast plugged into its TV port that works just fine.

Each game I tried also had a few other things go wrong. Firstly, none of the actual games would display. The music worked fine and sometimes splashes of opening credits would show up, but after that there would just be a blank screen accompanied by the title screen music. The games still seemed to function, but I couldn't see what was going on at all.

Final Fantasy 8 seemed to work the best out of all of them. Its opening credits sequence played perfectly fine, music and all (aside from being in black and white of course) but when I tried to advance to the next screen it didn't show anything.

I then tried Final Fantasy 7. All I got was the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" splash, and then a black screen accompanied by the title card theme.

I also tried Final Fantasy 9 and Tales of Destiny. Both yielded similar effects, just going straight to a black screen with the title screen music.

Bubsy 3D had by far the most volatile effects on my screen. When the Accolade logo splash began to play, it just partially covered the PlayStation startup logo with a black-screen transparent version of the animation. Upon reaching the opening cutscene, I could see slight blacked-out hints of characters moving on the very bottom of this new black splotch, which meant that it was still playing the cutscene, albeit in a very glitchy, broken fashion. The menu seemed functional underneath all that blackout, and I managed to hit the option to start a new game. Once again, I couldn't see anything, but it seemed like the game was working as usual, just with no visual response from the TV. And you thought playing REGULAR Bubsy 3D was awful. Try playing it without even being able to see what you're doing.

I'm almost certain that this is a problem with my TV, but it only seems to affect the component ports. I don't know how the HDMI ports would work, but I don't have a PS1 cable to use with them anyways. I've got a new cable coming in the mail just in case, but I don't think the cable is the issue here. Is there any way to fix my TV so it works properly with my PS1, or should I just buy a different TV? Once again, it's small, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal financially to replace.

User Info: galacticabby

galacticabby - 3 years ago

1. Sometimes getting a different TV is the best solution. Before getting a different TV you might try it on a friend's TV or at a game shop. Older TVs tend work better with older consoles. This is in part because the new TVs are designed to work best with newer consoles.

I had a similar experience with trying to play a game without being able to see what you're doing, but that isn't the issue. Yes, I got a different TV and it worked (that isn't always an option, but if it is...). Good Luck!

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k (Expert) - 3 years ago 1   0