Review by Jayke15

Reviewed: 01/27/01 | Updated: 01/27/01

Lived up to my expectations, except for a few things...

I recently got Smackdown 2!: Know Your Role for the Playstation, and I must say I am impressed. I also have WWF Smackdown! and I didn't know how THQ was going to top that...until this game came out. This game takes WWF Smackdown! and mixes in a lot of neat stuff, like Table matches, TLC Matches, and the infamous Hell in a Cell match! So on we go, into the great world that is...Smackdown 2!

But first, the rating scale.
I will name the category I am judging, then add a fraction on a scale of ten. Like 1/10, 2/10, and so on. Just wanted to make that clear...

SOUND: 8/10
I really like the sound in this game. The wrestler's theme music is well-done, and the music while playing is nice, too. The reason I gave it an 8 was because of the fact that the navigation music is really annoying! The guy sounds like he's saying something like, ''Stop the violence...''. But overall, I like it.

GRAPHICS: 9/10
Here's one category where Smackdown 2 shines, in my opinion. I think that the wrestlers look good, the tables look good, the shadows on the mat look good, everything is good! The only thing that bugged me is the crowd. I've played WCW Nitro and WCW/nWo Thunder, and I know THQ loves those 2-D objects. I was also real impressed with the Create-A-Superstar that THQ came up with this time. With this CAS, you can basically create ANYBODY in the world of wrestling, and they'll actually look good! Over 100 eyes and noses, this is just overwhelming.

CONTROL: 9/10
Another category that this game shines in. This game probably has the greatest control feature e I've ever seen. I can find no flaw in it. It's really simple, too. Triangle to run, X to punch/hit, Square to block...it's amazing. The only gripe I have with it isn't with the actual wrestling, though. It's with the navigation interface design. Instead of moving left or right and selecting your decision, you have to scroll up and down, and guess which one is next.

GAMEPLAY: 6/10
This really sucked, because of the load times. Want to Create a Stable, you've got to load. Want to view the rankings, you've got to load. Want to play Royal Rumble, get a sandwich. Every time a new wrestler comes out, it takes about 10 seconds for him to come out. But the reason behind this is simple: The crowd holds signs up for a specific wrestler.

Rent/Buy?: Buy
I had to rent this first, because Christmas was so close, and loved it. I would recommend anyone to buy it. That's a Dyse Gu...wait, I don't use that line...just buy it, you'll thank me.