Is there a reason for Final Fantasy games having the number 9 in?

1. Is there a reason why max MP is 999 or max HP is 999? Why not 1,000? {Sorry if this is unclear I was just curious to know if there was a reason behind it}

User Info: LadyYunalesca

LadyYunalesca - 1 year ago
  2. *max HP is 9,999 {Can not edit question, my apologies}

User Info: LadyYunalesca

LadyYunalesca - 1 year ago

1. Disclaimer: I'm not a game designer.

I think this 99 thing on level, HP, MP, and items rely on how the early game designers think on what should be the hard number cap/limit for these numbers.

For a 9999 HP that's programatically designed with 4 characters at max, if making the cap/limit to 10,000 would mean 1 additional character added to the variable then this can be 99,999 at max.

Though I'm not a game designer, but this is how I see things if I would develop something with resource limitations (hardware and software). With this decided cap/limit applied, the game's number progression in terms damage, heal, items acquired, base stats growth, and anything that would relate to numbers can be contained on a specific set of numbers that is manageable and can be balanced well.

This sort of system then happened to work well as a template for an RPG then is passed on/copied by other RPGs.

I hope I made sense there. lol

Here's a good reference for this:
    https : / / tvtropes(dot)org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cap

User Info: lloydknight

lloydknight - 1 year ago 1   0