Review by silent hillian

Reviewed: 01/02/02 | Updated: 01/02/02

At least I still have Tony Hawk 2

Now, for Christmas, I was looking for something to get my brother. I was searching through every shelf, and eventually, I came upon Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for the Playstation. I own both a PSX and a PS2, but this one was cheaper, and I thought it was the same game. So why not buy it? Thank God I kept the receipt.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is pretty self-explanitory: you pick one of 10 or so skaters (Bob Burnquist isn't one of them =(. ) and you skateboard, trying to accomplish certain goals for each level. There are also competetions which are pretty easy. Now, I own every Tony Hawk game, and I gotta say, Tony Hawk 2 is better than this. These guys should've quit while they were ahead.

Mediocre. At best. The people and backgrounds look grainy. There pop-ups are terrible. And it happens a lot. I didn't think it was possible, but these graphics are WORSE than its prequel. After playing the PS2 version, I was extremely dissapointed. I mean, I know what the PS2 is capable of, but I had no idea that the PSX version could be so much worse.

Sound/Music: 5/10
Yech. This music is garbage. Where did they find this crap. Now, I love the soundtrack for Tony Hawk 2. It's fantastic. And Tony Hawk 1 is good too. But these songs just make me want to smash every speaker in my house. Thank God I can turn the music off. Other than that, the falling, bone-breaking, etc. sounds really good.

Mercifully, they didn't mess with the controls. And they had no reason to. The controls for this series have been good since the beginning. Everything works perfectly, just as it should. The best feature of the game.

Replay Value: 7/10
Tony Hawk is a lot of fun to play. It is. But this game is just Tony Hawk 2 with worse graphics and a few new places. The custom parks are exactly the same as Tony Hawk 2, which angered me. Are they so lazy that they can't make up some new parks? They have to use old ones, and make them look worse, at that? It's not great, but it's still fun to play.

Rent or Buy?! RENT. For the love of God, rent it. I know you may be a die-hard fan of this series. I really like these games too. But you should really rent the game before buying it. Or if you do buy, I HIGHLY recommend you keep the receipt. I did. I'm glad I did.

This series is great, and I'm sure I'll keep buying these games. But Activision should've just moved on the PS2 and left well enough alone. The graphics are mediocre, and the music makes you want to pry your teeth out of your mouth with a screwdriver. It's basically just Tony Hawk 2 with a few new levels. If you want this game, go buy the PS2 version, it's infinitely superior.