Review by Myzery_Clown

Reviewed: 07/06/00 | Updated: 07/06/00

The Playstation port of MK3 finally does a bit of justice to the arcade.

INTRODUCTION

Mortal Kombat 3 is a step down from Mortal Kombat II, there's no question about it. However, the Arcade port, in more opinion and contrary to popular belief, wasn't that bad of a game. However, the hoco console versions for the most part were very subpar and lackluster. So when I finally got my hands on Mortal Kombat 3 for the Playstation I was bracing myself for some disapointment. I was pleasantly surprised at how this game at least brought a bit of shimmer back to the game Mortal Kombat 3.

GAMEPLAY

Mortal Kombat 3 features the same roster its Arcade brother did. There are some faces back from previous Mortal Kombats. Some of these are Kung Lao, Jax, Sub-zero (with a new look), and a couple others. However, some of my favorite Mortal Kombat II characters were replaced with newer, not as intriguing in their storyline, characters. Some of these are Kabal, Sheeva, Cyrax, and Sektor. I miss some characters like Scorpion, Reptile, and I persoally liked the old unmasked Sub-zero much better. Like the other versions of Mortal Kombat 3, Smoke is a hidden character in the game. Mortal Kombat 3 was the first game to have playable hidden characters, but there are, like previous installments of Mortal Kombat, hidden, fight only characters. Noob Saibot is an example. Overall, the rostou is pretty good, although I was pretty disapointed with some areas of it.

Mortal Kombat 3 features the same modes of the Arcade with one new one. Vs. Mode is you and a friend battle to the death in a best 2 out of 3 mode. There is an Endurance mode found in Mortal Kombat 3 on Playstation, a mode that was exclusive to home versions as far as I know. Each ''team'' selects eight characters, and it works like seconds. Once a character from one team is eliminated, a new character jumps down to replace him until all eight members are killed. This is not one quickly, as it too goes of the best two out of three fights format. I was disapointed because the fatalities can only be done on the eighth character in the second win. Boohoo.

The Tower is once again back as Mortal Kombat 3's long lasting mode. A new feature to the Tower in Mortal Kombat 3 are the settings for the Tower. You can select three lengths, which only differ in the number of characters you face in each Tower. Novice has six characters, Warrior has eight, and Master has ten. These do not count bosses. You select a fighter and start by fighting normal characters. After a while, you will face Motaro, a half-man half-horse type guy. Motaro replaced the 4-armed Goro and Kintaro, who I guess were removed in replacement of Sheeva, the playable 4-armed female warrior. After Cotaro, you take on the head cheese himself, Shao Kahn. That's it. There were no endurances or really hard fights, not that Mortal Kombat has ever done stuff like that aside from Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Mortal Kombat 3 is the same but quite different from previous Mortal Kombat. Moves, notice I said moves and moves only, are done the same way, by pressing a combination of different directions and buttons. However, combos are different. In Mortal Kombat 3 there are auto combos where you simply press three or four punches and kicks to perform a string of karate moves that devistate your opponent. These are a button masher's delight, as just mashing buttons can get some of the easier combos done quite easily. There are some advanced combos for the experienced Mortal Kombat player, but after goofing around with them for a while I simply forgot about them. Street Fighter fans will hate this. Each fight is fought with the two out of three rounds system, just like most fighting games. And the trademark fatalities are here, however not as good. Each character has two fatalities which seem very generic in the game. Mostly just decapitations and stuff. There are a few unique fatalities, but they aren't as good as the previous gory and unique fatalities, more than likely do to those whining parents. Each character also has a friendship, where acts of kindness are done. Agh. And the babalities, where the guy just turns his victim into a baby. Those aren't very cool either. The animalities which were rumored to be featured in Mortal Kombat II were not true, but they are fact in Mortal Kombat 3. They were a bit disapointing, but they were decent enough. There were a few cool ones, but for the most part they were rather lackluster, and like fatalities, usually involved mawling them or biting their head off. But as with the fatalities, there are some unique ones that are cool for multiple showings. Another new feature to Mortal Kombat 3 is the run button. When charged, this button causes your character to run instead of jog towards the character for a limited amount of time. I said jog, because even without the run button, the game moves much faster than previous Mortal Kombats.

GAMEPLAY SCORE: 7.5/10

GRAPHICS

The graphics in Mortal Kombat 3 are good, but that's it. Most of the character designs are well drawn, especially for the few old characters there are. Some of the new characters look downright stupid though. I especially liked the design for Sheeva and the cyborg ninjas, they looked pretty cool. The backgrounds were a bit weird too. The story says that Shao Kahn is out to take over the Earth, which he's already invaded and wrecked, yet the places look fine to me. All of the backgrounds don't look trashed, they look rather normal. I kind of liked the Outworld backgrounds though, these looked realistic and decent. The fatalities don't look as good, mainly because Midway cut out a lot of the blood that Acclaim always put in. Not something I particularly was for, but those damn whining parents get their way again. Overall, Mortal Kombat 3 has good graphics, but there not very good, they're not great, they're just good.

GRAPHICS SCORE: 7.6/10

MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS

Mortal Kombat 3 features some good musia eab some bad music as well. Most of the songs are too quiet to really hear anyway, they're barely audible over the sound effects. It's just that it's too quiet, the sound effects aren't too loud. Some of the songs for the stages seem a bit weird erough, like some of the songs would fit better in different stages rather than the one they were put in. However, there are others as well that were placed great like the Subway. It really helps the feel of the game a lot.

The sound effects are almost identical to the Arcade which is a very good thing. Most of the sounds, save a few minor ones like when you select your character in the seletion screen, are identical to the Arcade pretty much. Also, unlike the Arcade, Shao Kahn does not say the round, simply ''Fight!'' But little things do not really matter when the sound effects in the Playstation version of the game all out destroy the Super Nintendo and Genesis versions of Mortal Kombat 3. Shao Kahn says all the same things except for what I mentioned above, and the sounds of battle are great. The grunts, although should've been unique for each character for a more real sound, are pretty good. The moves all fit their sounds greatly, like I don't see Sub-zero's freeze and Liu Kang's sound for fireball going well together. However, the sound they gave both Liu Kang's fireball and Sub-zero's ice move sound very appropreate for themselves, and do not sound weird. Mortal Kombat has always done this rather nicely in my opinion. The fatalities sound very good, all of the decapitations sound great and real. The blood sounds a bit weird, and the bones sound like hail stones hitting a window, but the sound effects for fatalities are OK. Overall, the sound in Mortal Kombat 3 is good.

MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS SCORE: 7.9/10

DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM

Mortal Kombat 3 provides a decent challenge. Some of the characters can block a whole fight, and others will use some pretty nifty tactics to get to you. However, the game is beatable, and aside from Motaro and Shao Kahn, no character provides a really hard challenge that you leave you stuck for a long period of time. Most of them can be brought down within three or four attempts max.

REPLAY VALUE: LOW

don't know what it is, but this game just seemed to not hang on to me for a while. Possibly because I've already played four versions of Mortal Kombat 3, this being the fifth, and I've started to grow tired of the game. Even with its unquestioned statistic that is the best version of Mortal Kombat 3 on the home consoles, it still wares off very quickly merely because we've seen this done more than once. A lot more than once.

OTHER GAME INFORMATION

NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2

RENT/buy?: POSSIBLE BUY

GENRE: FIGHTING

OVERALL SCORE: 7.4/10

Mortal Kombat 3 is an above average game. It is finally the port of Mortal Kombat 3 that brought justice to the semi greatness of the Arcade version. However, after seeing four of these before, I kind of have grown tired, and you may not want to go for it. Most of the areas of the game aren't anything particularly special, but they are good all the same. You can probably find it cheap now, and if you like Mortal Kombat or fighting games in general, pick this one up, because you can find it for $10 at some places now. However, don't come to me saying it wasn't the best of game of all time, because it's not. It's very far from it. But it's an above average game that should possibly be purchased if you like this time of action.