Review by Hyuaki Hay

Reviewed: 10/25/01 | Updated: 10/25/01

Good but not great.

This is another tournament fighter for the Playstation video game console. It was released shortly after the X-Men movie hit theatres and features the cast of the movie. The cast of characters is as follows: Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Gambit, Phoenix (Jean Gray), Sabretooth, Toad, Mystique, and Magneto.

Story: There is none.

I think the graphics are nice and clean, but I have seen much better graphics on some older tournament fighters. There is a very nice frame rate and little to no slowdown. There is a little bit of clipping, but not much. The colors are also bright enough that you know what everything is. Well done.

The control is very simplistic and easy to do. They must have gotten the idea for the control scheme from between the Street Fighter series and Soul Blade/Edge, as it seems like a good combination of the two. The only thing that really keeps me from giving a 10/10 on this area is where you must switch power from one super bar to another. That's a pain, and in a battle can cost you a round easily. Hopefully they fixed that problem in Mutant Academy 2...

I like the music (when there is music), and the sounds are well done. The voice acting is decent and much better than some that I have heard. The sounds are good IMHO. The thing with the music is that when you are into the fight, you don't notice it.

Replayability: 4/10
I don't like the replayability factor of this game. Once you have beaten it, you don't want to do so again. And also the computer AI is far to low even on the hardest mode (at least it is for me). However, on the plus side, there are tons of things to unlock. And if you're like me, you like to unlock everything.

Overall: 7.25/10
This would be a very good rental or even a ''borrow from a buddy'' game. I would only really say get the game if you can find it for cheap, or rent, or if you are an X-Men fan. It's a good weekend rental. Nice and fun, but gets boring easily. I got mine for cheap. (rented it then the store closed the next day) Have a nice day.