Review by Alucard517

Reviewed: 04/24/04

One of Squares better titles

One of Squares best titles out for the Playstation one. Any body who plays RPG’s definitely knows about this game, if you don’t well now you do. This tale starts out in a small town where your main character has been for the past three years of his life. He goes by the name of Fei Fong Wong. He was brought to this town by a stranger, he was all mangled in blood and the towns “Guru” took him in. While he doesn’t remember his past they don’t bother him with it and he starts anew in his new home town. He makes new friends while in the town that go by the name of Alice, and Timothy; whom are set to be married the next day. During all the commotion a tragedy happens that stirs the whole town. And from there you start your escapade.

Graphics 8
The graphics in this game aren’t the finest I've ever seen, but for this set time mixing 3-D graphics and 2-D it looks really great. The major characters have portraits when you talk to them, and when they get angry or scared they alter their faces which is something new for a game like this. The graphics they put into the battles are really neat, some of the monsters you encounter will be 2-D such as the characters and when you fight bigger monsters they are 3-D like your “Gears”. On the world map your gears are 2-D unlike in the battles. From the select few videos they have, there in anime. There is a lot of blood in the videos along with violence which we all love so much. The cities have a wide variety of detail which is very great. Each town has its own theme to it and when you play you can really notice the detail they put into each town and character. Square also did a good job at mixing graphics in the towns too, they seem to fit well.

Sound 9
Quite possibly one of the best soundtracks to ever have to your collection. Square like usual, did a masterpiece for this game. The music in the battles is something you get use to and will kind of get on your nerves if you get into a lot of battles else wise, it varies in certain battles. They have music to fit each mood in the game. The only voice acting is when there are videos and they did a good job on timing with each video. The monsters even make noises but there isn’t nothing spectacular to mention about them. The music in each town is the best part of the game because each song it seems is like ten minutes long with a bit of repetitiveness. I think wow is the only word to describe the music. Isn’t that good enough?!

Story 10
One of the best stories and one of the most confusing. Unlike most games there seems to be more story line then there is game play. There is so much detail and so many characters in this game it seems almost impossible to keep up. One thing to be aware of is to make sure you pay attention to everything mentioned; if you miss a simple thing it could make things hard for you to understand. That is the only downfall of the story in the game. This is in my opinion one of the top ten story lines square has ever thought of. You can go through possibly ever motion ever in this game. Once you start its kind of hard to quite playing the game, unless you’re really confused. Make sure to take a breather too much reading from this game might make your head explode. BOOM! If they were to make this into a book I would have to say if I saw it I wouldn’t even want to look at it, the book would be so large and the print would be so small it would take forever to sit down and read it.

Game Play 10
The other great feature of this game. Battles are really neat because you can do moves by pressing triangle, square, and x. If you mix the order you attack in you can learn techniques that can really help you defeat enemies a lot faster. While using the techniques you can get AP and when you build that up you can do a combo which combines from you list of techniques and you perform them in one continuous motion. You also have magic that you can use to raise your attack or heal your partners. Another thing about techniques is the more you use a certain order the faster you can learn the move. Certain moves require you to be at a higher level for you to perform the attack, which kind of ruins the fact of having the move. But while knowing that it’s a better reason to level up while learning new techniques. Only downfall in this games exploration part is there aren’t too many side quests later on into the game since there is so much story and game play I guess they didn’t want to add anything else, because it is already good enough as it is.

Graphics 8
Sound 9
Story 10
Game Play 10

Overall 10
This is one of the best games I have ever played. And I highly suggest that if you see this game out there you pick it up and play it. The story is very well detailed and you should enjoy every bit of it. This game is something that you don’t sit down and beat in a couple of days. It took me 70 hours to beat it and go through the whole story and I'm guessing that’s either good or I am really slow. But this game is very long and it keeps you excited the whole time. If you don’t like this game then I don’t know what to tell you. I couldn’t have asked for anything else better than this game. So go bug your parents right now if you don’t have this game and you make sure you do what you can to go out and get it. HAVE FUN!!